Old 11-14-2009, 10:05 PM
Peasant

Default Mineral Wool Insulation

Does anyone have any information on mineral wool and how it compares to the FB ceramic blanket and perlite. I am inclined to go with straight perlite/cement on the dome but I do have some mineral wool that I bought for a masonry heater project that is still laying around. My main area of concern is a section of the dome that is slightly less than 3" away from an adobe wall. I carved out the adobe as far as I dared. Both the adobe wall and the oven are indoors.

Marty
Attached Thumbnails
Mineral Wool Insulation-photo_111409_001.jpg   Mineral Wool Insulation-photo_111409_002.jpg  
Old 11-15-2009, 04:24 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Mineral Wool Insulation

What are the major uses for rock and slag wool insulations?
The physical and chemical properties of mineral wool insulation, also known as rock and slag wool, are major factors in their utility. Because the fibers are non-combustible and have melting temperatures in excess of 1800-2000 F, they are used to prevent the spread of fire. As a primary constituent of ceiling tile and sprayed fire proofing, rock and slag wool products supply fire protection, as well as sound control and attenuation.

The excellent thermal resistance of these wools is a major factor in their use as residential and commercial insulation, pipe and process insulation, insulation for ships, mobile homes, domestic cooking appliances, and a wide variety of other applications
FAQ's About Mineral Wool (Rock and Slag Wool) Insulation Hi Marty and welcome.. I found the above info on the att website.. sounds like pretty good stuff, As far as a comparison, sorry I cant help you there other than saying the FB Products are known reliable items...

Cheers
Mark
Old 11-15-2009, 09:58 AM

In some places "mineral wool" is a term for what we call domestic fiberglass insulation. These contain organic binders that burn at WFO temps, making a big stink and degrading the insulation.

I suspect, though, that if you bought it for a masonry heater, it's proper refractory insulation blanket and it will be fine. Did you ever build the masonry heater? How's that working out?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:09 AM
Peasant

I never built the heater--time and money issues. The space for it glares at me everyday. I bought the mineral wool from Maine Wood Heat Company.

Marty