Old 04-26-2012, 04:05 PM
Apprentice

Default Metal Chimney, Single or double walled?

Reading the forums I see many uses of a double walled chimney systems (expensive). If I use a single walled chimney liner, and enclose the pipe in my dome covering "house" isolated from combustables - is there any loss of performance? ie does insulating the chimney pipe make it perform better?

The product I have in mind is here:
316L Chimney Champion Rigid Chimney Liner Kit - 8" | WoodlandDirect.com: Chimney Accessories, Chimney Liners, Champion Ridgid 316L Chimney Liner Kits
Old 04-27-2012, 09:04 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Metal Chimney, Single or double walled?

Its my view that you have a better chance of a water tight installation with the double wall pipe.

I bought some pipe, but went with a clay chimney liner and brick facade with an air space between the two. It was simpler for us.

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:04 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Metal Chimney, Single or double walled?

There are a number of builders who have enclosed their single-wall flue pipe with cement board or bricks. As long as your flue is insulated, there shouldn't be any loss of performance. Like Lee said, your main concern should be designing your enclosure and flue cap to be water-tight.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:59 PM
Apprentice

I would consider a clay chimney pipe. Does anyone know a source in Orange County CA?
Old 04-28-2012, 08:29 AM
Laborer

DVM

I don't have any tips for finding clay pipe in OC, but in my experience most proper building supply places carry them. By proper I mean not Home Depot - the sorts of places with all kinds of brick, blocks, flagstones, etc. in their yard. This would be the same place you could get firebrick, refractory mortar, etc..

I went with clay mostly because of my experience with my house: when I built it I could not get anybody to give be advice for the proper chimney for my oil fired boiler so I ended up installing double walled stainless steel insulated pipe. Long story short, the boiler was shot after 12 years (they had 'upgraded' me to an oversized unit which never got to temperature and rotted out). Anyhow, whether it was related or not, when I removed the pipe (now geothermal) it was also more or less finished.

I didn't want to replace the flue on the oven so I went with clay.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Larry's Building Materials in Costa Mesa. The prices are really reasonable. They don't carry 8" ID round pipe, but they can order it (from OH I think)

larrysmaterials.com - larrysmaterials Resources and Information. This website is for sale!
Old 04-28-2012, 11:00 PM
Apprentice

I am all for doing things once. I will search for a local source for a clay flue.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

A stainless steel flue shouldnt rust out.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:46 PM
Serf

Question Re: Metal Chimney, Single or double walled?

Don't know looking for answers myself.
Casa 2G90 being installed adjacent to grill in a covered (12' overhang) screened porch outdoor kitchen area. Venting through wood\stuccoed chimney running upward adjacent to house 20' from the ceiling in the porch area (8'6"). Double 30 degrees elbow needed to direct the vent of the pizza oven to the vertical run of the chimney.
Questions\Issues:
- 2 flues or 1?
- IF separate flues - for Pizza Oven, 6", 7" or greater double walled Stainless Steel("SS") Duratech Chimney?
- If separate flues, is a vent fan needed for flue? If so, top or bottom?
- If separate flues, Galvanized, SS or other material for Grill?
- If separate flues, for grill flue is a vent fan needed ? If so, top or bottom?
- Is there a need to line the chimney with non combustible material, if so what? Note with 6" flue for oven, 3" clearance and for 7" flue ~2.5" clearance from nearest walls.
Answers, suggestions or reference to websites for info would be appreciated. Getting anxious to heat up that oven!