Old 11-27-2009, 10:29 AM
Serf

Default Light for the Oven ?

Hi Everyone,
Looking to purchase some sort of mountable light for the oven instead of always using my flashlight. What does everyone use when you have to look in there? Recommendations are appreciated.

Thank you,
Bill from Michigan
Old 11-28-2009, 12:02 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Light for the Oven ?

If you keep a fire on the side you won't need a light. And if you are roasting or baking then the door will be closed anyhow.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:50 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Light for the Oven ?

Bill,
this has been a contention with members for ages. I built into my chimney void 2 down lights in a simple stainless steel bracket which aims the lights across the oven entrance and light up completely the oven floor. See:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...10-a-2119.html (Neill's Pompeii #10)

permalink #7
I built similar for Hendo's oven but his widow decided to go with the 2 LED lights which we mounted just outside the oven front arch and directed like mine across the oven floor. We had too do this because they were made from plastic and would not cope with the heat that would be going up the chimney and might not cope with any heat if any coming out the front of the oven arch as his chimney void is much smaller than mine. His oven is yet to be fired and proven.
The pics are of their performance. I would not have anything less, and are easy to make and install. All they need is the occasional clean of the lens once a year.

Neill
Attached Thumbnails
Light for the Oven ?-neills-pompeii-ight-web.jpg   Light for the Oven ?-neills-pompeii-largest-fire-web.jpg   Light for the Oven ?-neills-pompeii-pizzas-oven-web.jpg  

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-28-2009, 03:28 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Neill,
How does the plastic insulation stand up to the heat?
How far up from the floor did you mount the lights?
Did you use low voltage lights?
Old 11-28-2009, 04:54 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wow,, love the whole lighting thing.. Not really a problem for me, But any chance for an upgrade is a bonus... Now I have to go out and see how i can retrofit something

Thanks for the ideas

Mark
Old 11-28-2009, 06:20 AM
Master Builder

Here is link to my approach on oven lighting.

I cut holes in to bricks in the decorative archway and embedded ceramic light sockets. It works great.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/ch...html#post12844 (Christo's Cucina)

The lights get sooty and need to be cleaned every other firing but it's just a wipe with a paper towel.

I put the switch to the right of the oven.

Christo

Old 11-28-2009, 03:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Light for the Oven ?

David

Quote:
How does the plastic insulation stand up to the heat?
There is no plastic insulation in or around the lights. They are the metal down lights mounted in a stainless steel bracket and some off cut thermal blanket was stuffed in and around them to help protect the fibreglass insulated wiring.

Quote:
How far up from the floor did you mount the lights?
They are mounted directly behind the front decorative arch and just up out of sight

Quote:
Did you use low voltage lights?
I had (and still have) a dozen or so 240v lights that I got through my son for around Aus $4 each. Some low voltage would work just as well. I ensured that I have the hood and chimney well earthed for safety sake.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 11-29-2009, 12:02 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks Neill,
I think it would be difficult to retro fit. I think I'll stick with the oven flame. As my oven cools and the pizzas take longer the flame sometimes dies, so I use my trusty blowpipe to ignite the flame again. A switch would be nice, but I also like the primeval fire connection.