Old 12-10-2007, 06:40 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Unhappy It's a sad day in Daveland

Oven failure.

A brick has fallen.

Sad, Sad, Sad

Not sure what to do.

Here is a picture of the brick that has fallen out of my inner arch.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for any advice.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
It's a sad day in Daveland-failed-brick.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My pics:

Old 12-10-2007, 07:33 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: It's a sad day in Daveland

Dave,

I feel your pain! I really, really do! This must be the month for fallen arches (sorry about the pun).

My first thought is to use some furnace cement or mortar, tap it back into place and brace it for a day.

But heck, don't take my advice, I have a screwed up arch too!!

Good luck friend.

Updated!

Old 12-10-2007, 07:39 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken524 View Post
Dave,

I feel your pain! I really, really do! This must be the month for fallen arches (sorry about the pun).

My first thought is to use some furnace cement or mortar, tap it back into place and brace it for a day.

But heck, don't take my advice, I have a screwed up arch too!!

Good luck friend.
Thanks Ken.

I was thinking of getting some heatstop to fix it.
Or maybe building an arch out of metal to support it.
Sort of a metal arch insert.

It still cooks hellugood but... I'm worried about what will happen to the rest of the arch and dome!

My costs:

My pics:

Old 12-10-2007, 07:45 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by asudavew View Post
It still cooks hellugood but... I'm worried about what will happen to the rest of the arch and dome!
Yeah, I think the brick definitely needs to be reattached somehow... Maybe our resident Dentist can help!

Updated!

Old 12-10-2007, 09:20 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Oh Dave, I am so sorry to hear that!! How awful!

Attach it with heatstop AND then brace it with a metal arch - teach that %&*?%ç brick to stay where it belongs!!

...though maybe, doesn't this show that the rest of the dome is solidly built, if its holding up even with a whole brick missing? How does the rest look?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. Good luck Dave!!
Old 12-10-2007, 02:14 PM
Master Builder

That does kinda suck, but shake it off big Dave. You'll get it back in there. And no harm done (assuming it did't land in that pizza). That would REALLY suck!

dusty
Old 12-10-2007, 05:41 PM
Master Builder

Dave,
Firstly did it fall all the way out? Sounds like it was not pushing enough against the other bricks in the arch. Was the brick tapered at all? If not, is it a space that you might grind a slightly larger brick to fit like a keystone? You would then be able to fit the new "keystone" and using, a grout bag with your mortar mixture or a tube of furnace cement really squeeze the voids full.
Keep me posted on your thoughts!
Dutch
Old 12-10-2007, 07:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by asudavew View Post
Oven failure.

A brick has fallen.

Sad, Sad, Sad

Not sure what to do.

Here is a picture of the brick that has fallen out of my inner arch.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for any advice.

Dave
Awwww....

Sorry for your loss. It's hopeless - you'll have to demolish the entier oven and start over...

By the way, you should never take building advice from anyone who cannot spell 'entire'...

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]
Old 12-11-2007, 06:51 AM
Apprentice

Wow, that is truely a shame.

Looking at your "pizza night and Porchetta" pics it also appears you also may have another weak area. That coupled with the remaining arch being suspended by the mortar and cladding not compression, I think I would opt for the metal arch support you mentioned. Slide the brick back in place and perhaps cut a notch in each of the soldier bricks or the mortar joint between the soldiers and your 45 degree bricks, metal support resting in the notches. Whatever path you choose, I would be as gentle as possible.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:12 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Hey Dave,

That's a serious drag, but I'm sure you can work through it. Nature is on your side on this one. You cannot avoid cracking, but you definitely can repair your arch to be structurally 100% solid. It's the nature of brick arches -- get it right and it will stand for hundreds of years.

I agree with the theory that this has to do with lateral thrust pushing your arch outward, not with your mortar and repair compound. The idea of bracing both your entry arch and the vent opening arch sounds right to me --- you can either use a metal brace, or something masonry, either more bricks or blocks.

I used a course of half CMU's when I built my first oven to support the vent and the decorative arch.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
James