Old 10-22-2009, 04:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default It's okay to premix large homebrew batches, right?

This is probably a ridiculous question, but, it's fine to premix Portland, lime, sand, and fireclay in large batches and then make "wet" mixes in smaller batches as needed, right?

...as opposed to mixing everything in small batches every time I want to do some work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WFO Webpage:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thread:

Old 10-22-2009, 05:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: It's okay to premix large homebrew batches, right?

Sounds like a good idea,, Then you would have a good consistency from batch to batch..

and only have to add water as needed

Good Idea,,,

Cheers
Mark
Old 10-22-2009, 05:24 PM
Laborer

That's what I just did and it worked real well.
Larry
Old 10-27-2009, 05:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

As long as you are using oven dried (bagged) sand it is fine. Normal pit sand has enough moisture to cause a set.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:07 PM
Journeyman

That's what I did too.

Actually, I started my oven with a couple of high test buckets ( with just what was left in the bottom) of kiln pre-mix --- which does not work at all for a WFO, by the way. From basically the beginning, I used those buckets to premix my 3:2:1:0.5 mix and the rubber gasket kept it perfectly dry.

I usually mixed up everything in a hod, then transferred to buckets. Worked great.

Lars

ps. Made 4 loaves of sourdough this afternoon, pizza last weekend.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:05 AM
Apprentice

I use 5 gallon buckets from wheat storage - I mix small dry batches of Lars's dry mix, dump 'em into the five gallon bucket until it's full of the dry mix, and use a little at a time to lay bricks. Hopefully today will be an oven working day!

Lars, how's the sourdough going? I cannot wait to get to the cooking point!

Cecelia
Old 10-28-2009, 08:42 AM
Journeyman

Cecilia,
I have been talking about the sourdough exploits in the thread below.

I am eating some right now. ( four loaves, white sourdough, yesterday afternoon) The 'sourness' and the 'loftiness' are much better. I let the sponge sit out overnight, then baked them then next afternoon. As usual, I could have used more heat.

The smoke really flavors the bread. I know I could have gotten it hotter, then taken out the fire before baking, but... oh well.

L.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/11/s...html#post69128 (Sourdough in Dinos WFO)
Old 10-29-2009, 02:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: It's okay to premix large homebrew batches, right?

Cecelia

Quote:
I mix small dry batches of Lars's dry mix, dump 'em into the five gallon bucket until it's full of the dry mix, and use a little at a time to lay bricks.
This is probably what I should have done when building mine, but as usual, I mixed a builders wheelbarrow of mortar up (as I would normally do, expecting to use it all up quite quickly), and found that I not only laid the full soldier course, but almost 3 chords before I used it all.
Next morning I cut and laid the hearth and made a slightly smaller mix to complete the dome. All done in 2 days! A very quick way to get your oven built! Luckily it was quite cool and raining and the mortar didn't set off qickly on me, but then I would have to work even faster as I don't like to add water to keep the mix workable.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 10-29-2009, 02:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wait, you built your oven from foundation board to keystone in two days?

WFO Webpage:

Thread:

Old 10-30-2009, 04:30 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: It's okay to premix large homebrew batches, right?

Yep, that's right, don't sound so surprised. They could be done in less time than that even.
Check out my build and look at the dates of the postings which were done on the day the pictures were taken of the day's work.
I poured the foundation and topped vermiculite on 22 and 23 May 07, built the front arch, chimney void and oven entrance on 26 May07 and built the complete dome on 2 and 3 June 07. I also cut and put in the hearth bricks on the Sunday morning, 3 June 07. Not a problem. It was even raining so I set up a tarp and light and worked into the night until around 9pm. That was when my back was killing me, but it was fun.
All the detail and pictures on my thread. Check it out.
It can be done and I would build my next Pompeii dome in a single but long day.

Neill

NB,
the Saturday 2 June was only a half day as I worked in the morning elsewhere!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Last edited by nissanneill; 10-30-2009 at 04:32 AM.