Old 07-17-2009, 10:31 AM
Apprentice

Default Insulating the oven entry

How far out past the oven opening do you really need to have insulation? I'm talking both the board under the bricks and the blanket and/or vermi around the walls.. I'm curious what others did. I plan on checking the temp of the outside of my bricks once I start cooking to see just how hot it gets and how far out it extends to see if I really need all that much insulation.

If I can pull it back a bit it would be nice for the floor to help prevent water damage.

-Shay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:24 AM

Default Re: Insulating the oven entry

The bricks in the entry get REALLY hot. Even the decorative stone arch in front of the firebrick structure gets hot. I insulated out to the mouth of the firebrick entry: I don't know how much heat loss there actually be if you didn't.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:20 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Insulating the oven entry

In contrast to Dmun's, I did not insulate the entry.

The oven works fine but I certainly do loose heat through this path. I might get longer bakes if I had insulated this area.

JED