Old 01-06-2014, 07:57 PM
Serf

Default The Indispensable Tool for pete's sake !

For the life of me even with looking at pictures and diagrams I CANNOT even begin to make one of these ! Anyone willing to sale/ship one ?
Old 01-07-2014, 01:59 PM
Master Builder

Question Re: The Indispensable Tool for pete's sake !

Mate, it's a stick with a hinge at one end and an L bracket at the other.
Attached Thumbnails
The Indispensable Tool for pete's sake !-capture.jpg  
Old 01-07-2014, 02:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: The Indispensable Tool for pete's sake !

Carlos,

An IT is not essential for your build. Cut out a plywood template and attach a base to it so it will stand up. Then, as you mortar each course in place, simply use the template to align each brick at the proper angle. The mortar will hold the brick firmly almost immediately. You only need to check your angles every 5 or 6 bricks or so.

The real benefit is that you can cut your template to create a flatter dome, which is better for pizza and lots of other baked items.
Attached Thumbnails
The Indispensable Tool for pete's sake !-dome-template.jpg  
Old 01-07-2014, 02:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

If you're planning to build a round oven out of bricks... an IT shouldn't be a stretch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:54 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by wotavidone View Post
Mate, it's a stick with a hinge at one end and an L bracket at the other.
Okay ....the ones i've been seeing are a little more "high tech" than that ...but i like the sound of that idea !
Old 01-07-2014, 02:57 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
Carlos,

An IT is not essential for your build. Cut out a plywood template and attach a base to it so it will stand up. Then, as you mortar each course in place, simply use the template to align each brick at the proper angle. The mortar will hold the brick firmly almost immediately. You only need to check your angles every 5 or 6 bricks or so.

The real benefit is that you can cut your template to create a flatter dome, which is better for pizza and lots of other baked items.
Thanks ! It looks like that starter bricker has a slight angle ...I guess that angle will determine the overall shape of the dome ? Plus .....I never heard a flatter dome produces better baking conditions ?!
Old 01-07-2014, 03:20 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayoh View Post
If you're planning to build a round oven out of bricks... an IT shouldn't be a stretch
just checked out your calculator ...might as well be written in chinese for me ...I'm in trouble
Old 01-07-2014, 03:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Or you could build a sand form.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 01-07-2014, 03:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
It looks like that starter brick has a slight angle ...I guess that angle will determine the overall shape of the dome ? Plus .....I never heard a flatter dome produces better baking conditions
I knew you'd notice that! That pic was taken when I was brand new and didn't know anything about vaults and lines of thrust. I since wised up and went with horizontal bricks from the hearth up. Whats nice is that you can vertically lay horizontal courses as if you were going with a soldier course.

Quote:
I never heard a flatter dome produces better baking conditions
You may want to read through the FB instructions regarding Tuscan oven dimensions vs Neopolitan oven dimensions. Also, look at commercial bread ovens. Not very tall.

Last edited by GianniFocaccia; 01-07-2014 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:49 PM
Master Builder

There are at least two ways to make the dome lower/flatter whilst still using the indispensible tool.
If you leave a couple of floor bricks out and pivot the tool from the level of the insulation layer underneath, then the height of the oven and the door is reduced by the thickness of your floor bricks, once yopu put them back in.
Or, you can use a T hinge, rather than an ordinary butt hinge, and offset the tool from the centre swivel point by a couple of inches. Then your stick will neccessarily be a couple of inches shorter, and your dome will be lower, with a flat section in the centre. However, first of all, you must check out your bricks and make sure you can fill up whatever hole this approach will leave, as you must obviously have a bigger plug/keystone.