Old 11-02-2009, 07:04 AM
Serf

Default Ideas for Dome

So I am in the process of building the dome myself...and did the solider and a couple of courses. I ran into a little duh moment. Everything on the forum shows things like forms for the dome and beach balls or yoga balls. I thought of something else and it actually works really nice. My dad and I stopped at the local pool store and bought one of those pool pillows for the winter. Stuffed into the oven and then started to blow it up. It works really well I thought I would share that I have a picture but having issues trying to upload my pictures to FB.

Dino
Old 11-10-2009, 06:19 PM
Serf

Default Re: Ideas for Dome

Seb,

That was my initial plan was to use sand. Then I did not want to clean it up but it was the best option depending ont he size. I build my dome with a 40" diameter. The 48"x48" pillow which was I used fit perfectly inside and since I was building a low dow it was just enough to keep the vault the right shape rather than a full shere like shape. The pillow had a oval shape to it. I will try post a picture. It worked great for what I was trying to do. Sand for me although initially was good idea I could nto figure out how to keep it the same I want with some consistancy....
Attached Thumbnails
Ideas for Dome-img_2793.jpg  
Old 11-11-2009, 02:46 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Ideas for Dome

dinoforno

It will work, but you won't get the shape right unless it will be just OK.
I would not use it but put up on bricks a plywood base (in pieces to remove through the oven entrance), put some 'damp sand' on it, sculpt it to shape and continue laying the bricks until finished. Once you get your keystone brick(s) in, then remove the ply and sand, crawl inside and clean up and adjust the bricks to make yourself proud of you dome.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:39 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Seb,
Quote:
I need to figure out what should I put (or spray) on the sand to make it hard, like a crust.
I believe someone on the forum said they painted their sand with regular latex paint ... expanding foam insulation is another option, You can spray, let it expand and dry, then sculpt to shape,
Quote:
Stuffed into the oven and then started to blow it up. It works really well I thought I would share that
Hey dino, Cool Idea,,, If its working for you then its great.. dont over inflate and blow your seams apart...

Cheers and welcome to you both and good luck in your build..
Mark
Old 11-11-2009, 04:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

"That's why I want to harden, bind the sand surface. "

Do a 15:1 sand to portland mix (mix very well dry, then add a small amount of water) for the whole sand dome/form.

This will hold the shape you want and will still be easy to chop out when done.