Old 10-05-2009, 10:51 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Homebrew or Heatstop on arch/vent/flue/chimney?

I'm going to try homebrew for the dome, but I think I've read some recommendations for using something a little thought on the arch, vent, and flue.

I'm making a run to the masonry store today (to get my firebricks!!!) and they're kind of a drive, and only open during business hours (so I have to leave work), and they're the only place I can get Heatstop (the dry 50lb)...so I would love to decide if I need any and get it now, so I don't have to go back. Buying it to be conservative isn't any better b/c then if I don't use it, I still have to return it.

So, anyway, what do people think? Can you homebrew the arch, vent, and any work around the flue, or should that be done with Heatstop?

Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WFO Webpage:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thread:

Old 10-05-2009, 12:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Homebrew or Heatstop on arch/vent/flue/chimney?

Yet another case where a newly create thread does not show up on the new-posts list...at least for me.

My apologies for the otherwise pointless bump.

Cheers!

WFO Webpage:

Thread:

Old 10-05-2009, 12:48 PM
Apprentice

I don't see why you can't use homebrew on the other parts of the oven.
Also, in terms of posts showing up, I've noticed it too, but I just wait a bit and hit the refresh button on my browser. Works every time.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks. It's just that replies to existing threads appear in the new-posts lists instantly, so I was suspicious when new threads took longer to show up...but maybe you're right and it would eventually make it to the list.

Cheers!

WFO Webpage:

Thread:

Old 10-05-2009, 05:45 PM
Peasant

I like using the homebrew for setting the brick. It's nice and sticky and cheap. Use the heat stop to grout the interior dome and parging the throut.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:55 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Homebrew or Heatstop on arch/vent/flue/chimney?

Hi kebwi
sorry, I glossed over your posting this morning in my rush to get going.
I built my whole Pompeii with the poor mans mortar 2 years ago and not one crack.
I wouldn't waste my money on the expensive refractory mortars as you ideally need 2 types, one for small (less than 3mm ) joints and a second for the thicker joint.
Use the mix in my thread and I'm sure that you will be satisfied an a few extra dollars to spend on your insulation!
My thoughts anyway.

Cheers.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway