Old 11-12-2009, 09:27 PM
Apprentice

Default Herringbone vs. running bond (angled) floor layout

In my excitement to get started cutting bricks I realized I accidentally went with a running bond pattern rather than my planned herringbone layout. In hindsight I actually think that I might keep the running bond as I kind of like the simplicity and the look.

Any reasons that a herringbone layout would be superior? Anyone tried ovens with both and like one more than another? Seems like either would have the same problem with seams catching the peel - maybe a tad bit worse on the running bond?

Either way I'm planning on having a soldier course across the front to keep from having any small pieces fall off the front of the landing.

Have just been dry fitting things together at this point so easy to change course if there is a good reason.

Thanks for any input.
Attached Thumbnails
Herringbone vs. running bond (angled) floor layout-img_7215.jpg   Herringbone vs. running bond (angled) floor layout-img_7212.jpg  
Old 11-12-2009, 10:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Herringbone vs. running bond (angled) floor layout

I did the herringbone pattern - in all honesty, I really don't think it will much matter. You pattern looks great - I would run with it. Just get them as level as you can an you will be good.

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:11 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Herringbone vs. running bond (angled) floor layout

tfasz
it makes absolutely no difference to the performance and the fact that you have laid your hearth bricks in a stretcher bond pattern but at 45˚ will make no difference than laying it parallel to the oven entrance.
The bricks I feel are better on 45˚ as there is less long edges to catch on your peels when loading and removing your pizzas.
A good grinding disc over your hearth is recommended before you finish your dome, will ensure no raised edges/corners that may give you trouble in the future.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 11-13-2009, 10:20 PM
Apprentice

Thanks for the input - just wanted to be sure I was not kicking myself in a few months.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Tfasz,,
Your brick looks great... relax and have a good time with your build... How did you insulate under the floor ? and how do you plan on insulating the dome ??

Mark
Old 11-17-2009, 10:25 AM
Apprentice

Hi Mark - Have not worked on the insulation yet. Just doing a dry fit right now for the base and working on getting the layout together for the landing/entrance. It has been rather rainy in Seattle the past month so I've been sheltering in the garage until I get a break in the weather! Who knows, that might mean March/April before I get it going outside. ;-)

My plan is to lay some insulation board (Insblock 19 maybe) on top of a concrete stand that I had built earlier this fall by a masonry contractor. For now, the layout is sitting on top of my table saw in the garage.

Been having a great time so far - can't wait to break out the mortar and actually start putting it together for real.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:37 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

hey t,
Not trying to be overly critical,,, Is there vermicrete in the base you had built or will you double up on the insblock ?? the last hing you want is a floor that wont heat up.. and allow me to quote dmun, Insulate, Insulate, Insulate

Just trying to look ahead for you
Cheers
Mark
Old 11-18-2009, 09:05 AM
Apprentice

Was planning on using 2" of Insblok (Insblok 19 Board) underneath - from what I understand this is pretty much like FB Board but is available locally. Think this should be enough?

I'm a bit concerned about keeping it dry as there is a tall wall that my platform is built up against, so even if I throw a tarp over the whole thing the water can still run down the wall and across the countertop that the board will sit on.

Please keep the questions/feedback coming. Great to get some validation of what I'm thinking before I start building.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

hey t,
If your putting the insblock right on top of plain uninsulated concrete I would seriously consider using 3 or 4 inches,, or throwing a layer of vermicrete on top of the concrete...Mind you im not an engineer, so this is just my humble opinion,,, the cold concrete under the insblock may just suck the heat right out of your oven,, Hopefull someone else here can chime in with their opinion, or, you can always call insblock and speak to one of their engineers.....

hope to not cause distress or confusion for you

Mark
Old 11-18-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
What did they make there David - looks like another chip in American industry.
For the record I have 2 1/2 inches of insblock19 in direct contact with the concrete support slab, in fact was laid down on the concrete when it was still wet. The bottom of the slab never gets hot during cooking, and only gently warms overnight (all that heat has to go somewhere). 2 1/2 inches isn't a standard thickness - I got my box as an odd lot on ebay, but I don't think two inches would be much worse.