Old 12-28-2009, 06:18 AM
Serf

Default help with my oven in any way

hi guys ! first i would just like to say what a brilliant forum and the guys who pirtisapate are first class. i have been reading through it extensavly and the information gathered is first class.
what im looking for is recomended books, websites, places to get full plans so i can get a detailed insite of each layer and material as i have no experiance in building anything except lego anything would be appreciated.

look forward to hearing from you.

regards andy
Old 12-29-2009, 11:49 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: help with my oven in any way

Welcome to the best WFO community anywhere, Andy! If you plan to build a brick oven, there are excellent plans here on the Forno Bravo site, free to download. These are the plans that virtually all Pompeii oven-makers at least reviewed prior to their builds. Of course, most builders modified the plans slightly to fit their location, mood, design styles and materials that were available. For many, a Pompeii WFO was the first real construction/masonry project ever and they came out wonderfully.

I'm not sure there is a book or reference source that can match the information contained in the construction threads and images on the FB site. Just about every element that goes into the design, construction, finish and use of a WFO is covered here. You may want to read through (it will take while!) the threads first and then decide if you want to invest in a book.

Lastly, the FB community is more than willing to assist every step of the way in your oven build once you decide to go for it.

BTW - In what part of Scotland are you located?

John
Old 12-29-2009, 12:27 PM
Serf

hi gianni!
im in glasgow , been looking for plans on the site but i cant find them. could you point me in the rite direction.
cheers
Old 12-29-2009, 12:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Andy - here is the link. You need to order it like any other item in the store but it is free.

Good luck!

Les...

Pompeii Oven Instruction eBook V2.0 (pdf) :: eBooks & CD ROMs :: Forno Bravo Store

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:29 PM
Serf

cheers less
Old 12-29-2009, 04:37 PM
Master Builder

Hi Andy.......Basically, this site is all you need. I'm not looking anywhere else for my build. After many, many weeks of spending time here I know exactly what I want and need.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:23 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Andy,

There also is an excellent video of a brick oven build based on the Forno Bravo plans on YouTube. It is titled Pompeii Pizza Oven Construction.

John
Old 12-30-2009, 06:43 AM
Serf

thanks for the help guys much appreciated. i have just purcheased the books building a wood fired oven for bread and pizza and also your brick oven building it and baking it.
any thoughts on these books?
Old 12-30-2009, 10:05 AM
Journeyman

Don't intimidate yourself with your lack of experience. As someone else said, most of us had no previous masonry experience.
I think anytime you're tackling something in a category you haven't dipped a toe into before, it seems overwhelming at first, but if you break the project down into sections in your head and take it one step at a time, it becomes easier to digest.
I also think a lot about the process becomes self-explanatory as you get into it.

The first book you've referenced does not have great reviews on Amazon, FWIW. The second book I am not familiar with.
I know that the Alan Scott book "The Bread Builders" seems to be fairly popular and people speak highly of his instructions, although they are for building a barrel vault oven vs. an igloo style. I know one person who has built using the Scott book and her oven makes pizzas every bit as good as mine. One thing I will say about going by a book is you don't have the benefit of information and tweaks to the process constantly being added to the information pool as you do with the FB plans and this forum.

I used the FB Pompeii plans and this forum exclusively, and while I'm not new to construction, I hadn't ever built anything with bricks and mortar before. So far, my oven is still standing
Old 12-30-2009, 11:24 AM
Serf

thanks splat, the books are just for more info i want to take in as much as poss before build
thanks again andy