Old 05-03-2008, 01:56 PM
Apprentice

Default Heavy density fibreglass slab - suitable?

Dear All,

I have (possibly wrongly) worked out that the temperature under the fibreboard insulation slab will be around 50C, which I think indicates high losses.

So I bought some inexpensive high density fiberglass slabs (Wickes in the UK sell them) to put under the FB.

The slabs are fibreglass, designed to go into cavity walls or under flooring, quite dense, about 2in thick and would surely bring the 50C down to not much at all. And they would not be exposed to high temperatures, as these will be taken off by the FB. That was my rationale.

On the specs for the fibreglass slab printed on the packaging there is a sub-flooring application (under concrete screed), so I hope that it will remain stable under the relatively small pressure from the oven, spread over the approx. 2sq.m. of oven support area.

So it will survive (even if it will compress a bit). But will it be mechanically stable? I would not like a wobbly oven, to put it bluntly.

So here is the question: has anybody here had experience with this type of material under the oven? And if not - any advice/suggestions/warnings would be also much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

W.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:42 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Heavy density fibreglass slab - suitable?

You'll surely get a better informed reply, but I think most insulation board products include compressive strength as part of their product specifications. I've usually seen this given in pounds per square inch. For example, some Dow Styrofoam products are rated at 15psi, or just over 2000 pounds per square foot.

I'd suggest checking the manufacturer's web site.

-Ed
Old 05-09-2008, 05:58 AM
Serf

Default Re: Heavy density fibreglass slab - suitable?

Quote:
high density fiberglass slabs
if you call it so it is for shure they are of high density! Or you are not sure!
Cheap doesn't mean better! Believ me!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.