Old 04-05-2010, 08:09 PM
Apprentice

Question Gauge/Thickness of Pizza Peel?

I can't order the pizza peels online so I went about looking for a metal fabricator. I was very fortunate to find one who is very competent and who is charging me more than reasonable rates.

He recommended 18 gauge stainless steel for the pizza peel "shovel." I'm just wondering if this is thick enough.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Gauge/Thickness of Pizza Peel?

I used 2mm aluminium for mine and it works just fine.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:07 AM
Apprentice

18 gauge is about 1 mm should I get a thicker gauge?

Old 04-06-2010, 12:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Gauge/Thickness of Pizza Peel?

18g in stainless should be ample especially if it has a couple of reinforcing ribs pressed into the peel. 16g is 1.6mm thick and a slightly thinner stainless steel peel would be much more rigid than if made from aluminium.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 04-06-2010, 02:16 AM
Apprentice

Thanks, Neill. I'm sticking with the 18g then and advising him to put some ribs to stiffen the shovel. The peels will be made entirely of stainless steel. I'll post some pics once I get them. Thanks for the help

Old 04-06-2010, 03:59 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Raffy,
I use 0.9mm which is slightly thinner. Even with this thickness I have had to taper the leading edge slightly to prevent the peel from catching the dough when sliding it under the base. Thinner is probably better because a cold hunk of stainless steel going into the oven must sap out some heat and the bigger the lump the greater the loss.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:37 AM
Apprentice

Hi David,

I'm glad to hear from you that a 0.9 mm stainless steel pizza peel is more than adequate to the task even more so that you have actually proven it through continuous use with your oven. Before this posting I have already placed the order and your reply has given me peace of mind that I made the right decision.

Just one question though, with that thickness, did your peel ever warp or show any uneveness due to the repeated exposure to the heat?

Raffy

Old 04-06-2010, 05:29 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

No the heat doesn't seem to effect it, but you can bend it.

Last edited by david s; 07-17-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:38 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I really like the shape of my peel because it has a flat bit at the front which gets under the dough better than a rounded edge, a point at the front for lifting an edge and the sides conform to the oven circumference to move coals around. I also like a slight upward bend, but this is easy to adjust. I think you get used to whatever you use and become skilled with it and anything different doesn't feel right.
Dave
Old 04-06-2010, 10:21 AM
Apprentice

Hey David,

Thanks for the pics. Your pizza tools are beautiful. They are very cleverly designed. Did you make/design them yourself? I know what you mean about the "feel" of a tool. When one of our peels was replaced with a new one, the weight and feel threw me off stride a bit til I got used to it.

Can't wait til Thursday (delivery day for the peels). Once they are fabricated I can finally get down to some serious pizza making.

Cheers,
Raffy