Old 12-14-2009, 02:15 PM
Apprentice

Default galvanised metal in an oven dome?

Hi all,
My Fire blanket should arrive soon. I was thinking of using galvanised chicken wire to attach it to the oven. Then I can skim coat it with stucco in order to protect it until I build my enclosure next year. I have read that galvanisation can break down at as little as 250 degrees fahrenheit. Would anyone worry about poisons leaching into the dome? I am not a chemist and I tend to worry about things I don't understand very well.

I was thinking about making a web from plain steel wire instead but of course it would be a lot of extra work.
thanks, paranoid in VA,
Dave
Old 12-15-2009, 12:22 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: galvanised metal in an oven dome?

Hi Paranoid Dave!,

I wouldn't worry about using the chicken wire, two layers of material away from your cooking food. There are not any influences that will work to push any 'bad' off-gassing from the chicken wire in to your oven, and since it is on the outside of the insulation it is unlikely it will get hot enough to break down from heat. Now, I understand the chemistry of the Portland Cement in the stucco will erode the wire, but that is a different story..

Keep'r going!

JED
Old 12-15-2009, 02:01 PM
Apprentice

thanks JED,
that is just the encouragement I needed.
dave
Old 12-16-2009, 01:58 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

also remember,, Heat rises, So Im hoping that if there are any offgasses they will rise away from the food and if they do get into the oven they will be pushed out the chimney/vent...

just my 2 cents

Mark
Old 12-16-2009, 04:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Skip the chicken wire.

Just tie it on with string then stucco.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Every well designed masonry structure in the world has galvanized metal (or stainless steel) embedded into it, even though there is a reaction between the alkalinity of the masonry and the galvanization. That is beside the point, however, since you don't really need the chicken wire.