Old 08-21-2007, 08:34 AM
Serf

Default firebrick

For you users and potential oven builders in central Texas. I have been looking for a source of fire bricks and have been quoted prices from $2.50 t0 $3.50 each. Which makes a pretty expensive oven.

I got lucky and found the Elgin Butler Brick Co. in Elgin, Tx a few miles east of Austin Tx in Butler, Tx. Brick cost $ .75 each. Dry fireclay in 70 lb bags $12.50 each. Hope this helps some of you out.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:07 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: firebrick

There's also Town and Country Brick in Cypress, TX (a Houston suburb). Firebricks there are 97 cents each. And if you need a local supply of ceramic blanket or insulating board, there's Able Refractory Supply in Houston. I just got a box (24 square feet) of board today.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:01 PM
Serf

Thanks for the info. I think that I am going to go with a 3-4 in vermiculite portland cement cladding over the oven and enclose with a wood siding and roof
with a fill of vermiculite. Have plenty of vermiculite that was given to me. How far along are you with your with your oven? I am going to have to wait until I'm finished with my house addition to start on mine. Might get down to check yours
out if okay with you.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:22 AM
Journeyman

No problem at all. Not too far along yet. Just finished the stand last week, and I should start cutting bricks this weekend.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:27 AM
Serf

Default Re: pizza oven

Do you have the hearth completed???
Old 08-22-2007, 10:54 AM
Journeyman

Pretty much except for the brick facade. You can see pictures here in this thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/b...tion-2282.html (Begining stand construction)
Old 08-22-2007, 05:25 PM
Serf

Wink Re: firebrick

It's looking good. At least I don't have to worry about codes here. Am in the country and lots of space for me to build. I am planning on a grill and smoker as well as an oven. We are big time bar-b-qers here.

Am really wanting an oven for bread baking primarily with pizza second. I am thinking that the shorter firing time for the pizza oven rather than a bread oven would be better. I only plan on 3-4 loaves of bread in one baking so the pizza oven is better for this reason.

Am a home brewer as well a bread baker. EAT, DRINK AND BE MERRY!!!
Old 06-09-2008, 07:59 PM
Serf

Hello people!!!!!... My name is Daniel and I live in Houston Tx.
I am trying to find a place where they sell firebricks to build a fireplace in my backyard.
I have been looking for all sides but only with it construction bricks.
If you or somebady known someone about a shop in Houston, please e-mail me to:

danielgcruces@hotmail.com

I want to apologize, because my English is not really good, but I am from Argentina and I barely got a couple of years living in USA.
Thank you!!!
Old 06-09-2008, 09:47 PM
Serf

Hey Sourdough, how long you been brewin'? I've been doin' it a few years now. We can make our own good time-along with what it takes to get it done too!
Old 06-09-2008, 10:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I'm gonna hijack this thread a bit - SORRY
reef, sour, I've always been intrigue by home brewers. I know I will never match the beer of my neighbors friend who owns a microbrewery, nor can I ever get more than 5 minutes with the guy to discuss. How about a good lead on where to go as a novice - someone who loves beer and would like to give home brewing a shot. What resources do you guys use?

RT