Old 06-18-2014, 08:00 AM
Apprentice

Default Embarking on a Cast Oven Dome

HI there, I have had the pleasure of building a few WFO's since I first stumbled onto this site and the wealth of information. Greatly appreciate it. Past ovens have been traditional firebrick construction.

I am now looking to help a friend build one and looking to use a castable refractory. So I called upon my local supply and he recommended Kastite 2600.

I discussed the use of forms with it and he said I should cast at min 3 inches thick and he felt that the product would slump if I tried to cast a 3 inch dome over a mold. He suggests I have an inner and outer mold.

Here lies my problem. I've seen many posts on casting of ovens posted but most make use of structure and or sand pile to make the base and then the cast is done over it. I can see my way through that, I think.

But if I were to make 2 forms both with say fiberglass mesh where one is say 3 inches larger than the other, how would I put them together in such a way to pour the refractory in the middle, have it set and then pull them apart. Has anyone done it this way? Any tips?

Thx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:30 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Embarking on a Cast Oven Dome

In my opinion he gave you good advice on forms but bad advice on materials. That's an insulating castable, you need a dense castable. My issue with sand forms is you cannot vibrate them, for that reason I think a full form is better.

Use a dense castable, full forms, a high percentage of stainless needles and vibrate. You will end up with a great casting.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:49 AM
Apprentice

Looking for details on how to use inner and outer forms to cast.

Thx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:17 AM
Apprentice

I think forms are a lot of work.

If you are doing one off ovens use brick or refractory without a form. I built a refractory oven, and agree that it was hard to get it to stay in place and not slump. But is did manage to do it. My walls are about 80mm (3 "). I had issues with the wet paper over the sand also slumping and folding into the the refractory. But I think I was going to fast.

The problems I had are only superficial, and structurally not a problem.

My build http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/51/n...e-19976-4.html (New 36inch castable build in Brisbane)

In the end, I have a great oven at little cost as compared to a brick build, and better design than is possible with bricks, like flared openings giving more room at the door etc.

Hope it helps...