Old 02-16-2010, 01:10 PM
Laborer

Default Dry stack vs Mortar stack

What's the recomended method for placing the cinder blocks? I've noticed that some folks mortar the blocks in place and some dry stack.
Also, how important are the vertical rebar placement that are embeded in the foundation and pass up through the cores of the blocks? Again it seems that some do and some do not include them.

Phil
Old 02-16-2010, 01:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Dry stack vs Mortar stack

I dry stacked my block - it goes a lot faster. I put steel in the corners of the foundations of the island and a couple in the middle of the run. It may not be needed with all the weight but it will do no harm.

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Last edited by Les; 02-16-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:32 PM
Master Builder

I did exactly the same. I then filled every-other-one with concrete. I filled the rest with brick cutoffs and left over motar and stuff to keep the garbage can from weighing a ton.

dusty
Old 02-16-2010, 06:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty View Post
I then filled every-other-one with concrete. I filled the rest with brick cutoffs and left over motar and stuff to keep the garbage can from weighing a ton.

dusty
That's funny - thats where I put all the left over gravel/sand I was going to have.

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I dry-stacked, but I don't have any rebar connecting the foundation to the walls (I didn't set any rebar sticking out of the foundation awaiting the wall placement), so the walls are effectively resting on the foundation, except for any "glue" effect between the concrete poured into the cores and the foundation.

I think that if you don't mortar the walls -- if you dry stack and fill the cores -- it is pretty important to put some rebar in the cores when you fill them...I guess, I dunno. I suppose it seems like filled cores are in a way stronger than mortared bricks since a filled core is basically a column of solid concrete.

Whatever, you'll be fine. Round up on the rebar. I sure as heck did.

WFO Webpage:

Thread:

Old 02-16-2010, 07:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Going by what I have seen here, 98% of the ovens are built atop bomb shelters. That is not a bad thing, but it can sure burn up excess time and money. Using calculated loads (leaving out seismic and frost issues), a pile of dirt is good enough for most ovens.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Agreed. When I first started my build, I ran some numbers and concluded that I could push against the foundation with my thumb harder than the pressure that would eventually result from the oven and stand. Run the numbers yourself and see what you get. It's a simple calculation. Weight of the stand and oven divided by the footprint of the stand (foot print of the concrete blocks plus the foot print of the filled cores). You will be surprised how low the load really is.

WFO Webpage:

Thread:

Old 02-16-2010, 07:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebwi View Post
I ran some numbers and concluded that I could push against the foundation with my thumb harder than the pressure that would eventually result from the oven and stand.
I totally understand. I live in a state that is 3rd or 4th in seismic activity. I went with the fact that if everything would bounce and shift together, I had a better chance of survival. Rebar is really, really cheap, compared to the rest of the build.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Seismic and frost are totally different issues. For seismic, each unit needs to be tied together, and the important strengths are not compressive but bond and shear. For those situations, you need a bombshelter, because you have a heavy load subject to lateral movement.

For frost, you have to create a foundation that is able to withstand heave, i.e. extend below the frostline and be able to counter lateral stresses in the foundation. Above that, however, the stresses are normal.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:00 AM
Master Builder

During the '94 earthquake we had here, a row of queen palms in large 30" terracotta planters on our driveway bounced and shifted a couple of inches. It's easy to tie the stand to the foundation but what about the oven to the hearth when the next big one hits?

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO