Old 11-28-2009, 01:55 PM
Apprentice

Default Do not use steel sheet to level bricks!

Warning!

I was happy to find a cheap piece of stainless steel sheet, and thought it would make leveling bricks easy, by using the sheet as a flat surface between the ceramic board and the bricks. Out of curiosity I waved my torch on the sheet for just a few seconds and it sprung like a cheap cookie sheet, and deflected bricks by as much as 3/16 inch (see picture.)
The sheet is now gone, and another "good" idea has been filed away under DO NOT DO!
Attached Thumbnails
Do not use steel sheet to level bricks!-2009-nov-28-010c.jpg  
Old 11-28-2009, 02:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Do not use steel sheet to level bricks!

The things that we learn from experience hey Eric!
Just use a thin layer of fireclay to bed your bricks into for a fine flat level surface. I don't even use a notched trowel, just a little perseverence and tamp the bricks down gently to get them correct.
maybe, a little sanding with an abrasive disc ob the angle grinder will get them 'perfect' if needs be.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:09 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Do not use steel sheet to level bricks!

Oh MAN! I am SO GLAD you tested that with the torch before building your oven. That would have been heart breaking.

Updated!

Old 12-03-2009, 01:33 PM

Yeah, in the metal trades that's called "potato chipping" Sheet metal is rolled, and has tremendous surface tension. When you cut off one side, or stress relieve one side with heat, it just curls up.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:50 PM
Apprentice

I saw the same thing happen once while milling a flat on a cold-rolled steel round.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:09 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

This is another reason why a wooden door is preferable to a metal. especially stainless steel door, apart from its poor insulation qualities.