Old 08-23-2014, 07:25 PM
Serf

Default Do I need to paint the lintel?

My oven design has an angle iron lintel over the door. It supports the back of the masonry chimney. Normally a lintel should be painted but I'm wondering if it's a good idea with the heat. Anybody got any advice? Will it rust? Will the paint just burn off?
Old 08-24-2014, 09:18 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Do I need to paint the lintel?

I used angle iron in the same way and left it unpainted. It's been in place for 5 years now with pretty much weekly baking and does not appear worn at all (i.e. no rust, no pitting, no warp, etc.) but it does get blackened & sooty during some firings. I'm positive if you painted it the paint would burn off the first time you used the oven...so relax, don't worry, have a home brew...
)

Photo albums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Smile Re: Do I need to paint the lintel?

G'day Darbster
Same from me, I have a spare set of lintels in the shed ready tap out the old and put in the new, not been needed for 4 years now.
G'day Stablesprings
Looked through your pics .... Enjoyed them .... Particularly taken with the shape of you dome.....well done!
Regards to you both
Dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

Old 08-25-2014, 08:09 PM
Serf

Default Re: Do I need to paint the lintel?

Thanks for the reassurance guys!
(no home brew Mike, but enjoyed some local craft brew : )