Old 07-04-2008, 09:55 AM
Serf

Default Cutting refractory bricks

This thing is growing into a financial monster! Have just had a quote to hire a bench brick cutter for the weekend for £50 plus £11.50 per mm on diamond saw. Advised to buy blade for £150 because I will be cutting so many bricks (120). Any advice out there as to cutting? What should I do? Abandon the project and have another glass of sauvignon or keep going and drink the whole bottle. That way I wont worry about the cost! Oh, the firebricks and vermiculite have just arrived.........
Shepster
Old 07-04-2008, 10:01 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Cutting refractory bricks

I just finished cutting my fire bricks. I used a Dewalt 14" cut-off saw with a masonry blade. I think I paid $12 for it. I don't know if I made 120 cuts, but it's still in good shape, and made pretty nice cuts. Depending on the cut, I also used a masonry chisel and hammer, and the hammer alone.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:40 AM
Serf

Forgive my ignorance but what is a cut off saw? Is it like a mitre saw? Is it designed for wood and you used it for brick? Ive got one of those and I assume you are saying that i could put a masonary blade in it .................its only a cheap one from B&Q (like your home depot) so I dont mind experimenting.
Thanks
Shepster in sunny UK
Old 07-04-2008, 11:04 AM
Apprentice

The destination is the journey ...do it yourself. Use your mitre saw with a masonry blade. Wear your mask. you can keep a little water on the blade if your careful to keep it out of the motor ...best if done on a GFI

Best case scenario: pride with Beer and Pizza
Worst case scenario: you screw it up waist a few bricks then hire the mason drink beer and eat pizza

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:18 AM

Your diamond saw rental offer is a rip-off. The charge for blade wear is the key. Sintered diamonds have become so cheap, that the blades have become use-and-toss items.

If you can't find an affordable wet saw, you can do a score and break number with a diamond saw on an angle grinder.

Cheap Chinese ones are only a few bucks here, and the blades are similarly priced. Use a diamond blade, not those abrasive things that smell like something died when you use them. 4.5 inch is the size I bought.

When cutting dry remember: Protect your lungs! Protect your eyes!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:24 AM
Serf

Smile Re: Cutting refractory bricks

Ah...good advice.... I've got one of those! Just off to get the blade......
Shepster
Old 07-04-2008, 11:28 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmun View Post
Protect your eyes!
I'd like to second that. Eye protection is an absolute must. I wore protective eyewear, and still got a small piece of concrete in my eye when grinding away the edge of a concrete block. (Just needed aggressive flushing, I'm OK). I wouldn't skimp on investing in good eye wear and a mask.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:51 AM
Apprentice

Shepster, I hired a monster (electric) angle grinder from Jewsons for a very reasonable rate, and had to buy the sintered disc for £18 ($36US). The disc is still in excellent condition.

The cutter was a Bosch - a larger version of the tiddler it sounds like you have.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:41 AM
Apprentice

The 'cutoff' saw I used is for cutting metal, lintels, rebar, & such. It has a 14" blade, and I got a masonry blade for it. Similar to this

FREE SHIPPING — DEWALT Chop Saw with Keyless Blade Change System — 14in., Model# D28715 | Chop Saws | Northern Tool + Equipment

I also used a 4 1/2" grinder with a diamond blade for tough cuts.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:11 PM
Peasant

Hi All,
I'm not sure if anyone has the answer to my question but how long does it take (on average) to cut through a standrd sized firebrick using a brick saw? I'm trying to work out if I need to hire a saw for more than a day or not! I'm building a slightly smaller Pompeii oven than in the plans.
Cheerio,
Mark CH