Old 04-15-2010, 02:29 PM
Journeyman

Default cutting cement board

I am planning on forming a brick arch for my under stand wood storage. I was planning on framing the corner with hardibacker attached to 1x1. Does the hardibacker cut with a jigsaw- I have never used the stuff before?
Thanks,

Eric
Old 04-15-2010, 02:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: cutting cement board

Eric, normally it's just scored and snapped but there is no reason you can't use a jig saw.

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:22 PM
Journeyman

I have heard of scoring and snapping, but I need a curve. Thanks Les.
Eric
Old 04-15-2010, 03:42 PM
Master Builder

For curved cuts on cement boards I use an abrasive (no teeth) blade on a zigsaw.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 04-15-2010, 06:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxpose View Post
For curved cuts on cement boards I use an abrasive (no teeth) blade on a zigsaw.
If you use a standard toothed blade with cement board or hardi, you'll eventually end up with a no teeth blade.

Updated!

Old 04-15-2010, 06:32 PM
Laborer

not teeth than how can you eat pizza
Old 04-15-2010, 06:57 PM
Apprentice

Why don't you use a router a zipsaw? Best way to cut round shapes. Just make a jig to keep you perfectly round. I am in the process of doing the exact same thing (a brick arch for the wood storage). I used MDF as it cuts much easier and I only need it to to hold up long enough for my mortar to dry. I will attempt to post some pics tomorrow but I've not tried adding pics yet. In the meantime you can check out my gallery photos posted in my signature line?

My projects:
Old 04-15-2010, 10:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I'm pretty sure you can buy cement board jigsaw blades and they are only a few dollars. I've used a circular saw many times for straight cuts (with a cement board blade) and diamond impregnated holes saws for plumbing cutouts. Cement board circular saw blades are pretty cheap ($10?).....the diamond holes saw are a different story - $20 and up, each.
Try Lowes or Home Depot for the jig saw blades, I am pretty sure I have seen them, I believe they were from Bosch.

RT
Old 04-16-2010, 09:49 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I used the "Alltool 9000" AKA The angle grinder.

Chris
Old 04-16-2010, 10:43 AM
Apprentice

Here is my brick arch under construction with form in place. I do a section and then slide the form down.
Attached Thumbnails
cutting cement board-brick-arch-form.jpg  

My projects: