Old 04-22-2014, 02:14 PM
Apprentice

Default concrete countertop sealer

Hi, can someone tell me what I should be looking for? I believe I should seal at about 800 grit? Also, are there different levels of gloss available? Could someone give me some indication of what to look for? When I search for sealer I find products recommended for sealing timber ur concrete and I also see PVA and bonding listed. I'm a bit confused!

Thanks

Richard
Old 04-22-2014, 05:34 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: concrete countertop sealer

I purchased stains and sealers from Concrete Acid Stain, Dyes, Guides and Savvy Techs - Direct Colors Inc. (not sure if they can ship overseas to ireland). I feel for you. I spent many hours trying to figure out the stains and sealers; I knew what I wanted it to look like, but could never figure out how to get there. Very confusing. I started with an acid stain with a lithium sealer/hardener and polished it with carnuba wax. I wasnt happy with it, so you ground it down again, re-stained it, and I used a satin-finish acrylic sealer. It looks very dark brown and I am 80% happy with it. Attached are a couple of photos of my tikibar grill.

800 grit sounds correct. There are differnt levels of gloss. I prefer satin.

I cant be much help...only to pass along advice that was given to me but I chose not to take: "make samples/swatches of concrete and try different things. You can get different effects with different sealers."
Attached Thumbnails
concrete countertop sealer-tiki-grill-1.jpg   concrete countertop sealer-tiki-grill-2.jpg  
Old 04-22-2014, 11:20 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: concrete countertop sealer

Thanks Jeepiper. That's a lovely setup. I'm don't want any stain just a good polished look and waterproof.