Old 10-27-2011, 09:35 AM
Apprentice

Default ceramic heaters for first firing?

Has anyone tried to use the small electric ceramic space heaters for the first firing of your oven? I am wondering if the unit could withstand the 200 degree temperature of the first firing. I figure if its placed in the landing it could at least be used as a preliminary drying out before the first fire.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:23 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: ceramic heaters for first firing?

A number of builders have reported success in initial drying, if not actual curing of their ovens using heaters and high-wattage work lights. Your ceramic heater should work well.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:31 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtofani View Post
Has anyone tried to use the small electric ceramic space heaters for the first firing of your oven? I am wondering if the unit could withstand the 200 degree temperature of the first firing. I figure if its placed in the landing it could at least be used as a preliminary drying out before the first fire.

John,

I tried it for a few days and found that I could not get it to stay on very much, They are set for safety and do not stay on much over 85 degrees. I found that the High watt work light with a small fan to blow the air around worked much better. I put the light in near the internal arch and put the fan inside the oven about 2 ft.

Chip
Old 10-28-2011, 08:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Burning small wood fires to cure your wood-fired oven works quite well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:56 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I like the worklight, it's what I used. In my opinion, a slow steady increase in heating, during curing is desirable. I like long controlled burns that saturate the bricks evenly throughout the structure. The long even heat helps to get the water moving out of the dome and keep it moving. I also believe that insulating early, after running the worklight and allowing air to move humidity out of the oven structure, helps to minimize cracking later because the oven unit will heat more evenly.
Again this is only my opinion.

Chris
Old 10-28-2011, 10:41 AM
Apprentice

How about a heat lamp bulb for keeping young chickens warm?
I am not talking about my first firing, just a way to slowly remove moisture prior to my fire curing.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Give it a go and see where it takes you. Ideally this passive curing will take you up to and past 150F. I don't think you'll get there with a brooding lamp. The 212F 100C mark is a big deal. One part water takes up 1000 times more space as steam. If you can bring the whole oven up slowly to this point then you have less chance of cracking due to the remaining water.

The other part that plays into cracking is the stress due to the uneven expansion of the oven. When you have one part of the oven dry and another still holding a bit of water, the dry part will get hotter faster than the wet part. Water soaks up the calories until it changes into steam.

Back to your question, as long as you have enough power to soak the bricks well over the ambient air temps of your area, and you're circulating air, you’ll be drying the structure much faster than you would otherwise.

Chris

Last edited by SCChris; 10-28-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:05 PM
Apprentice

I learned a lot from drseward's build thread about this very idea. I have yet to figure out how to bypass the thermometer but I have some friends who might help me with that. Anyway, check out his build thread (post #13) and see if that helps. It gave me a good idea.

Good luck!

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/co...en-7630-2.html (Colorado oven)

Nate
Old 10-30-2011, 08:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

If the heater can bring the oven up into the mid hundereds and hold it there, you're yards ahead.

Chris
Old 10-30-2011, 08:37 AM
Serf

yes it's okay with wood...