Old 12-13-2009, 04:42 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Buy the Harbor Freight extended warranty!!!

Well, I broke my HF tile saw. As you can see in the photos, the spindle on the motor end is fine but the spindle on the blade end is shot. It just spun itself to bits. I was sawing along, then a bunch of clattering, then it was over. The blade still spins because the belt drive has a lot of tension but it obviously won't "push" through brick anymore. It's done for.

Luckily, I purchase the $20 1-year replacement plan when I bought the saw. I already called HF and they said they would just send me home with a new one. The only expense is the incredible hassle of packing a filthy 150lb saw and driving it all over Seattle for a long evening.

Look folks, HF is cheap Chinese crap and we all know it. There's nothing wrong with that so long as it you take in stride.

Put differently...cough up for the replacement plan. You will not regret it!

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Buy the Harbor Freight extended warranty!!!-123-tilesawspindleunbroken.jpg   Buy the Harbor Freight extended warranty!!!-124-tilesawspindlebroken.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WFO Webpage:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thread:

Old 12-13-2009, 05:27 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Buy the Harbor Freight extended warranty!!!

Bummer... Looks like the locking pin/wedge became loose and came off. Were you able to find it?
Old 12-13-2009, 05:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I assumed that piece disintegrated. I heard a clatter right as things went south, so maybe instead of breaking, it simply popped out and shot off somewhere. I could look around my basement a bit I suppose. I dunno.

WFO Webpage:

Thread:

Old 12-13-2009, 05:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

That is not broken. it will cost about a nickel to fix.

Edit-what it indicates is that you are probably putting too much pressure on the blade. Let it work at it's own pace, the saw and the blade will last longer.

Last edited by Tscarborough; 12-13-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Fair enough. I concede that it looks like a very simple repair. Neil2 and I came to the same conclusion in my oven thread. Problem is, I'm not sure how to approach it. Where do I get that piece? HF had no interest in repairing it. They seem to consider any repair worth less than the cost of the the overhead.

I'll do a little research, but if you know offhand where to get the "key" as I think it is called, I would be open to suggestions.

...and point taken on taking pressure off the blade. Maybe I got too ambitious.

Thanks.

Looks like HF has a way to order parts. It's interesting that they had no interest in pursuing that course when I called. I'll have to see what it costs of course. Since the replacement plan is already paid for, it isn't in my interest to pay *too* much for the repair except that, as you say, it would be absurd to replace the saw under under such circumstances.

WFO Webpage:

Thread:

Last edited by kebwi; 12-13-2009 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Just go to any hardware store or big box and buy a piece of keyway. It is probably 3/16, but you should measure it to be sure. It will be in the bolts and screw section.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:38 PM
Journeyman

It's called Key stock. You should be able to find what you need here:

Order , COLD ROLL STEEL, Mild Steel, STAINLESS, STEEL KEY STOCK, STEP Alloys 1018, 300 SERIES, Steel in Small Quantities at OnlineMetals.com
Old 12-13-2009, 06:44 PM
Serf

It looks as if the woodruff key is missing, or has walked out the shaft and flung (technical term!) across the room. There is probabally a set-screw in the "v" portion of the belt pulley that holds in the key and it might have been loose and allowed the key to walk out. Very simple fix. Either get a new key or some key stock and a new set-screw, apply loctite (superglue will work if you don't have loctite) and you are back in buisness.

If you are not sure the size (could be metric), try to disassemble the opposite side and see if that key fits the other end, and if it does the take it with you to Lowes/HD and use it to match up a new one.

Good luck!
Old 12-13-2009, 06:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Cool, I'll look into that. The exact part description is C5x30. I don't know what the C means. I'm guessing the 5x30 is width/length in mm.

WFO Webpage:

Thread:

Old 12-13-2009, 06:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

How do I realign the two halves of the hole (that's a funny play on words). The belt is very tight. I'm not sure I can turn the shaft or the belt independent of one another with my hands.

WFO Webpage:

Thread: