Old 10-16-2010, 01:33 PM
Peasant

Default Alternative build ideas

There is a product called InsulCaste from the HeatStop people. Its purpose is to insulate but I can't vouch for its efficiency.

It was suggested to me that I first apply a thin, watery coat of HeatStop over the exterior of my firebricks in order to fill in the low areas of mortar (I have many)

Then, interesting I thought, to do away with the insulating blanket and use a 2 inch coating of the Insul Caste, following up with a stucco and a sealant coating.

This is appealing to me because I could do away with the exterior wall and roof completely, and also do away with the ceramic blanket.

Any thoughts?
Old 12-29-2010, 05:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Alternative build ideas

You pay your money and take your choice.

You can surely take a chance with that advice....I'll take advice from someone who has been there and made a successful oven.

Resist those shortcuts, and build it the way hundreds have done. Don't be taking a risk. All the details in the pompeii plans are there for a reason. A good reason.

How much will it take to go back and redo things if that advice doesn't work? Are you willing to do it twice?

I'm being a devil's advocate because likely that advice is from someone who has no idea why these ovens have been build this way for a thousand years....

HTH
Old 12-29-2010, 06:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Alternative build ideas

I would be leery of a castable insulation merely for the fact that it's R-Value inherently cannot possibly be as high as a ceramic blanket. I would think anything castable would be very similar to vermicrete, which can be made quite easily and inexpensively.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I have used the Insulcast for a door. It works well, but it is not in the same league as perlcrete at 6-1. It is designed as a product to insulate kilns, for example, not ovens.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

A 4 inch layer of pearlcreate or vermicrete (12:1) is going to do the same thing, be cheaper, possibly insulate better and you can put the stucco directly on to this as well.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:07 PM
Master Builder

Yesterday I visited my friend's glass studio. He has a gas fired kiln that was at temp above 2000f, the top was only covered with 2 inches of ceramic cast, I placed my hand on it and it was as warm as my bath water. I decided that I will use the ceramic cast over my 42 inch Pompeii that is almost finished, covered with 3 ceramic blankets and 3 coats of stucco. I have my floor on 2 inches of ceramic boards. I'll let you know how it goes once I fire it up. Pompeii in Japan.

Laurentius