Old 08-25-2011, 12:59 PM
Serf

Default advice on cladding masonry dome

Hi all - I've completed my masonry oven dome, and I'm at the point of cladding it. The dome is regular brick with homemade refractory mortar of fireclay, sand and portland cement. I've mostly used Wing/Scott The Bread Builders for design and materials guidance, but I find myself without adequate guidance on what to use to clad the dome. Do I use a mix of vermiculite/Portland cement/fire clay or portland cement/lime/sand? Any advice, I'd appreciate. I'm in a location where we get as cold as a few degrees below zero farenheit in winter, as warm as low hundreds in summer. The whole thing will be enclosed by brick, when completed. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:20 PM
Serf

Default Re: advice on cladding masonry dome

I guess I spoke English in a French speaking country. Sorry for the faux pas.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You can use perl-crete, but loose fill insulation in the house will be even better.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I wouldn't add more mortar to the outside. You don't need the thermal mass. You want insulation, and lots of it.

The very best thing would be 3"-4" of refractory blanket. If that isn't an option, you'll also get great results with the mixture of vermiculite and portland cement (4" or more). Don't add fireclay to the vermiculite/portland. Fireclay is thermal mass, not an insulator.

You might want to download the free Pompeii oven plans. They will give you lots of detail for your next steps:
Brick Oven Plans | Build an Italian Brick Oven

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:06 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken524 View Post
Don't add fireclay to the vermiculite/portland. Fireclay is thermal mass, not an insulator.
]
Portland is not a good insulator either. Even at 10;1 you are adding more mass to the mix from the cement than the vermiculite.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:18 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
Portland is not a good insulator either.
I agree! Even more reason not to make things worse with fireclay

Updated!