Russell Jeavon's Pizza Restaurant - South Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russell Jeavon's Pizza Restaurant - South Australia

I had the privilege of taking my family and friends to Russell's Restaurant which is located in the township of Willunga, (one of South Australia''s southern wine areas), where we thoroughly enjoyed a pizza feast.
    As in his book, he has restored a 150 year old cottage, you back to those days with the decor and interior doorways only aroung 5'6"" high, plaster last ceilings and the decoration within the era.
    The actal interior dining area is quite small, catering for around 25 people with an enclosed veranda holding 6 tables and a rear rustic shed area that had around 40-50 people sitting on benches. This area was also wood fire heated which also added to the whole experience. There is also a small private dining room for 'special occassions' that can accommodate 10-12 people.
    Very basic and quite unique. You just walk around the whole venue, through the kitchen, around the ovens etc talking to the 10 to 12 staff working the two nights that it is open.
    I was keen to check out his 2 ovens, the very ones that he features in his book. Made from local pressed red bricks and conventional mortar, the larger one was cooking pizzas for the 60-70 guests plus take aways on the night, no door on it (but hung beneath the openning), NO chipping or spalling? whatsoever. Maybe the type and quality of our local bricks as these ovens are used every week on a commercial basis for his restaurant and courses that he runs.
    You can get take away, order specific pizzas from a menu or as we did, had the 3 course deal for Aus$35/person which includes corkage. (You bring whatever you wish to drink).
    I am not too familiar with the names of the different types of tucker, it all started with trays of virgin olive oil, a variety of breads with crushed nuts and spices as a coating: - very tasty. Also as as entr.appetiser were rays of fresh salads containing pickled, sun dried and crisp local produce, topped with deliciously different dressings.
    Then came the pizzas, from seafood to the most exotic. These kept coming and coming continuously until some of them went back only partially eaten, really all you can eat! To top off the night were the sweats, from apple strudle to cheesecakes.
    If anyone is ever over this way, it is well worth the experience.
    There was no music nor entertainment but that should be provided within your own group. My kids and their partners never waste an opportunity to make the occassion memorable and we had the dining room in fits of laughter on numerous occassions. A thoroughly great experience.

Neill
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neill’s kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Re: Russell Jeavon's Pizza Restaurant - South Australia

Neill,

What a fine, fine story to share, thanks. Never been to your neck; maybe I will some day.

Cheers,
    Jim
    "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Sounds great Neil...... the word "rustic" springs to mind
      I will get there one day

Its an interesting point you make about the bricks not spalling and so forth. ......will find out soon (with mine).
      Cheers
      Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Sounds terrific Neil, I am determined to get there the next time I'm in SA.
        Cheers
        Bill
        Tutto Fumo e niente arrosto!

Comment

That sounds excellent. My kind of restaurant. Great olive oil, pizza and free corkage. Can you beat that?

We should get an introduction between the FB Fourm and Mr. Jeavon. Can anybody engineer that?
          James
          Pizza Ovens
          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

James,
            I have an email address for his partner? Grace. I will contact her and send on the FB address and link for Russell to contact 'us' if you wish rather than publish his address direct here.

Neill

PS. have sent an email with all the relevant contact details.
            Last edited by nissanneill; 05-05-2007, 04:44 AM.

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
            Neill’s kitchen underway

Comment

Thanks Neill,
              Maybe we can strike up a new relationship and expand the community. We're all interested in the same patch of ground.
              James
              Pizza Ovens
              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Hi all,
                My son has booked one of the main rooms in Russell's Pizza Restaurant for his 30th birthday on 22nd September. My son's best mate and family own a local winery from the southern vales and Fleurieu Peninsula and is supplying all the wine for the 30 odd guests (BYO). Pity I don't drink eh, there will be some top grog on the tables, hope they have some soft drink for me, but hey, somebody has to drive the drunks home.
                I was going to take my camera and my infra red thermometer to check on his ovens and a few other features but is there anything else that any member would like me to check out? (apart from some of his attractive waitressess).
                I will post some pics and a report on our return.
                I have also enrolled in one of his cooking courses later in the year and will report once completed.

Neill

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                Neill’s kitchen underway

Comment

Excellent. We'll see how hot those ovens really are. :-)

Tell Russell to send me an e-mail so we can get introduced. I am really looking forward to hearing how the cooking classes go.

James
                  Pizza Ovens
                  Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Neill you are now the "official FB scout" on this

I was watching one of my favourite cooking shows the other night and they featured Russell.Here is a link:
                    Food Lovers' Guide to Australia - Chef
                    Couple Episodes down the Page "Russell Jeavons (Series 5 : Episode 1)
                    I think you can get some vid or something.....
                    Food Lovers Guide is a great show that shows on one of Australias free to air TV stations(SBS). It showcases a whole range of Australian cooking and culture - around food. .....Aus is very multicultural hence a very varied cusine

My other favourite show is one called "The Cook and the Chef" which is aired on another channel - ABC
                    ABC TV: The Cook and the Chef
                    Maggie (the cook) and Simon (Executive Chef) are quite an interesting mix(funny and very creative). They don't just experiment with food they also interview local producers and look at how different things are grown or produced. I can go on and on about it, as I really enjoy it. There are stacks of great recipes online and you can even download the shows themselves - quite an enjoyable half hour

Maggie also has some interesting produce she makes:
                    Maggie Beer - A Barossa Food Tradition - Home
                    she sells a quince paste......Its the best - what you do is get a water cracker, spread it with the quince paste and then top with a very sharp aged cheese.....its gastronomic.....no point at stopping with one.

I dont work for them.....but I do enjoy their shows and stuff
                    Cheers
                    Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Damon,
                      my brother, through necessity became a great cook openning his own restaurant in Aldgate. He was closed down several years later by the council bylaws because of a lack of an invalid toilet (the landlord would not come to the party and put one in) and 4 car spaces too few, but that was quite a few years ago.
                      I am just starting to explore the cooking scene, I thoroughly enjoy food and decided that this oven would encourage me to extend my experiences and add to the flavours of our home, especially with the grand kids on their way. My wife is a very basic cook, you know, the meat and 3 veg type. All so well and good, but I get into strife when I cook the evening meals with meat and every veg in the pantry and fridge meals, usually 5 or 6.
                      I must admit, that she has come around to the oven and is enjoying it and my bread and buns coming from it. She still does her own pizzas, but then again so does everyone. Hey, I'm supplying the resources, they can make their own. Simply follow my example and technique. It is amazing how quickly they catch on and then you need to get in the queue to wait your turn to cook, or to turn your pizza. Once I have the circular peel, I keep it until I get mine out.
                      I need to mix my own flour and ingredients for the spicy fruit buns as the pre-prepared bun mix is quite expensive as is also the Gluten free flour here in Adelaide.
                      Anybody got formulas for this bun mix?

Neill

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                      Neill’s kitchen underway

Comment

....lol...I can imagine you need to use the kitchen "seperately"

Yeah my wife is the main gastronomic supplier in the house and does a great job seeing there are 3 young boys (+ 1 bigger one).....however the oven takes the load off her when its comes to the entertaining......and gives me a chance to learn/experiment.....so far all guests want to return for more.

I recently made some extra dough for a recent firing and used it to make some extra garlic breads - after all where fed. It is basically a pizza dough base (flat as per normal) just topped lightly with minced garlic, mozzarella, a shake of dried parmesan and some EVOO. It looks cool with puffy spots here and there.
                        Anyway, once cooled I sliced, wrapped them up and stuck them in the freezer.

We reheated them the other night and had them with our pasta for tea. Its not as perfect as cooked on the day but its a way better option than the "frozen garlic breads" from the supermarket (which are really poison with garlic).

I don't have any bun mix recipes yet....although what about starting with a hot cross bun recipe.....mmm
                        Cheers
                        Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Yep,
                          the orders are already coming in for the hot cross buns next easter.
                          I refuse to travel on the roads with all those other insane road users who are in an all out hell of a hurry to get where they want to go and home again so I stay at home and enjoy the peace and tranquility.
                          Will have make up some HOT (as in chilli flavoured crosses) for the buns just to get the reputation for 'what you ask for, you get'!
                          I haven't yet sourced any receipes specifically for the flour mix but will get them under way tried and proven (hopefully mastered) by next easter, rather than use premixed Bun mix.

Nelll

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                          Neill’s kitchen underway

Comment

Damon,

I agree with all you say about Maggie Beer - surely one of South Australia's treasures! And yes - her quince paste is wonderful, as are all of her products, especially the Pheasant Pat?.

I use her Seville orange marmalade with orange juice and Glen Morangie 10yo (plenty of citrus overtones) each year in a glaze for the Christmas ham. An annual chore in the Weber kettle, but I'd be lynched if I didn't make the effort! Well worth it though. I wonder if I'll be able to emulate the process in the WFO this year?

Cheers, Paul.

Comment

Paul that sounds quite a nice ham......yummm

I think its great that Australia has this multicultural heritage and each culture has bought its food along, hence some of the interesting things/people we have today.....I'm guessing there would be a degree of that in other countries that had a population expansion (periods) due to immigration(among other things).

...oooppsss I'm getting a bit deep but I really like how FB isn't just about building an oven.....its a "food culture" in itself.
                              Cheers
                              Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Working...
                              X