Old 02-09-2007, 06:17 AM
Peasant

Default Pizzeria Mozza Los Angeles - Batali owned

Recently opened a new pizzeria in Los Angeles on Highland Ave. I have heard raves about this place, but I intend to check it out. Here is a review, I have been waiting for the lines to die down, (probably never) so I will go off hours to check it out. Here is a review.

Triplecreme: Pizzeria Mozza
Old 02-09-2007, 06:24 AM
Peasant

Default Re: Pizzeria Mozza Los Angeles - Batali owned

forgot something critical - also Nancy Silverton owned. Sorry about that.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:39 AM
Master Builder

Hey Barbara - being a terrible speller I use the edit option. Well actually I can spell fairy decently the problem is that the keboard never types correctly. You will find the edit button on the lower right of your posting

Last edited by jengineer; 02-09-2007 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:50 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Hey Barbara,

I have a sister in Pacific Palisades. Isn't that close to you?

I just checked out the Blog, and wondered what everyone thought about the pizzas. I like the charred look to a point, but the middle one might have been over done. Also, the cornice seemed a little out of contol.

What do y'all think?

Also, I think that all bruschetta should be made from Pane Toscana -- senza sale. Theirs looked like a new-world Pugliese. Too chewy?

James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by james; 02-12-2007 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:50 AM
Peasant

Thanks for the tip Jengineer!

One more link - to their site, they have a pdf to download which has lots of info including menu and pricing - check out the pizza menu and all the bios. CanuckJim might find this of interest being Nancy's restaurant with Mario Batali. Also L.A. times has photos of Nancy prepping the pizzas.

Mozza :: Coming Soon!

I agree with you James on the bruschetta. Sometimes these guys here in L.A. tend to overdo the nicest simple stuff. But Nancy is the bread empress around here and people have no idea what Pane Toscana is, and many would not appreciate the "plain" flavor without salt. I got used to it quick in Tuscany and appreciate it. I will check them out next week because it is only about 3 miles from my office. There are more reviews on LA Times.

James, Pacific Palisades is fairly close, about 45 mins to 1 hour from me driving time. I live closer to Pasadena.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:45 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

While I like Mario Batali's cooking show and cookbooks. I hate that he has that fake pizza oven on his cooking show set. Drives me nuts.

And while I wish that restaurant was near me (I loooove fried zucchini blossoms), the crust does look a little crazy. Just spread those toppings out a bit more. One of the reviewers said that they put cornmeal under the crust as well and it overwhelmed think crispy dough.

Boy I am starting to sound pretty negative here...but Nancy S lost some of her status in my eyes when they started selling her bread at costco...sort of goes against the whole idea of artisan bread, and I find the quality of this parbaked bread pretty medicore.

That said, I just bought a new Mario cookbook and I love my Bread from la Brea....

Drake
Old 02-09-2007, 08:26 PM
Apprentice

The pizza crust in those pictures looks like mine sometimes does when I use dough that has gone a shade too long in refrigerated fermentation. It stretches nice and looks good going into the oven but the cornice gets out of control - looks more like a bialy.

If you are in Los Angeles - you have to hit Antica Pizzeria in Marina Del Rey. So far it is the best I've had in the US...followed by A16 in SF, then Pizzeria Bianco in Phoenix. The crust at Antica is unbelievable - although I think they are a little heavy handed with the herbs/oregano on the bianca pizzas.

www.anticapizzeria.net
Old 02-11-2007, 09:18 AM
Serf

Default mozza bread pies

All the photo's I've seen from Mozza show a lack of edge discipline.
And cornmeal? I'm aghast. Nancy is an amazing bread baker. Maybe her love of bread just shows on the size of her crust.
For great pie north of SF try Picco in Larkspur.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:30 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Hey Chef,

A hearty welcome aboard. Nice photos of the pizzas from Picco -- thanks for those. Can we nominate you as our resident expert for SFO pizzerias? There are some pretty good ones to choose from, and it would be great to get your input, and even a few more photos.

Is Picco near the ferry terminal?
James

Old 02-12-2007, 10:40 AM
Peasant

Jjerrier - thanks for the recommendation, my husband and I will go there - so few really good places in Los Angeles - what a shame :O

We just had one of our close and favorite places close. I can't wait to go to Antica.

Further reading on pizza at Mozza is even more discouraging. I just don't think it is pizza - at least not the pizza I have known and loved from Italy. It is getting more thumbs down on L.A. internet. I will skip it for a while and head to Antica instead.