Old 11-15-2007, 09:07 PM
Journeyman

Default Wild boar

This is a rib roast of wild boar. Done in a slow oven for 3 hours, marinated as necessary and eaten with oven roasted potatoes and redcurrant jelly sauce...................awesome!
Attached Thumbnails
Wild boar-pig-roast-001.jpg  
Old 11-16-2007, 03:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Wild boar

Yum....Hard to get wild boar in the US!
Old 11-16-2007, 08:28 PM
Journeyman

Hi Drake...........Turkey being a muslim country it is impossible to get domestic pork, except for some average bacon and sausage imported or the occasional red-cross parcel brought in from UK by friends. We do, however, have lots of wild boar on the mountains around us and almost no-one to eat it when they are shot. I get telephone calls on a regular basis to go and collect one. I was under the impression there are lots of 'hog' in Texas and surrounding states.

inishta
Old 11-16-2007, 09:32 PM
Journeyman

Yes, there are plenty of wild boar in Texas. More that can be killed. I don't know if it is that the breed is different or our tastes are different, but only young ones are considered edible here. Most of the wild hogs here are either Russian or Ferrel. They say an old one is down right rancid, which is a scary thought as I must say I didn't care for the younger one I ate.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:24 AM
Journeyman

The boar here are Anatolian. They are generally only hunted for sport not food and big tusk boar are taken as specimens on licensed hunts. The roast in the picture was taken from a 65 kg female which I dressed and butchered. Most boar that is shot are not very accomodating as to where they die and are often too large to retrieve whole because of the distance from transport and the terrain. I have had boar legs brought that have come from 100kg animals and it seems that is the cut hunters think we want. The best parts, in my opinion, are left on the mountain. I will only participate in a hunt where the boar is taken for food.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:26 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Of course boar is a big thing in Tuscany, and also in Provence. We've had a number of encounters with wild boar while driving country roads late in the evening. Once a family of three jogged right past the car as we were just leaving a friend's home after dinner; and we could occasionally hear them snuffling around outside our house in Impruneta. Hunting is a big deal, and you jeeps and guys with guns during the season, and the occasional unlucky boar tied to the top of a jeep. I'm not a hunter, so that doesn't work for me.

Boar is also farmed in Tuscany -- and depending on the restaurant, they either will (or won't) tell you where your cinghiale is wild. Pappardelle Cinghiale is a big regional specialty.

Of course in the old days, the boar had a good shot at killing the hunter -- so it was a little more fair. :-)

James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:50 PM
Laborer

If my memory serves, taste of the wild meat is depandant on what the diet of the animal is/was. GIGO.

The one and only wild one I ate was on a diet of garden veggies and acorns from the woods. He got too frisky in the veggie garden was how it wound up on the BBQ. It was a meal to remember though.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:08 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inishta View Post
This is a rib roast of wild boar. Done in a slow oven for 3 hours, marinated as necessary and eaten with oven roasted potatoes and redcurrant jelly sauce...................awesome!
Very nice indeed! i love cooking wild boar, i prefer the ones from the mountains as they eat the roots and other greens which make them nice and healthy.

Wild meat is always better than domestic as its leaner and sweeter.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:27 AM
Serf

Adrian,

The boar you describe almost sounds like an animal we have living in the hills of Australia. It's called the Wombat.

The Wombat - eats, roots, and leaves.

Oh' to be a wombat.

Cheers,
peter
Old 11-29-2007, 07:08 PM
Journeyman

I heard something similar - eats, roots, shoots and leaves! I think it would be lost on our US friends though! I mean, they even root for their favourite sporting team! P.