Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Brick Oven Cooking > What You Cooked Last Night

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2013, 05:08 PM
Master Builder

Default What's Bartman Cooking

Roast Chicken and Vegetables, Broccoli casserole and Peach cobbler.

The bird was practice for "Turkey Day". Daughter did a awesome job on the broccoli casserole. Wife's cobbler is the best. WFO cooking, love it.
Attached Thumbnails
What's Bartman Cooking-dscn2675.jpg   What's Bartman Cooking-dscn2676.jpg   What's Bartman Cooking-dscn2677.jpg   What's Bartman Cooking-dscn2679.jpg  
GrahamG likes this.

KB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:16 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: What's Bartman Cooking

Looks like you have the turkey down. Nice bird.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbartman View Post
Roast Chicken and Vegetables, Broccoli casserole and Peach cobbler.

The bird was practice for "Turkey Day". Daughter did a awesome job on the broccoli casserole. Wife's cobbler is the best. WFO cooking, love it.
KB,
Some of my most fond memories of Thanksgiving meals actually revolve around chicken instead of turkey. My mom would bake a couple of big hens, stuffed with "oyster" dressing....WOW!...... . Usually, the chicken turned out more moister and delicious than the turkey. The occasional turkey was not usually a butterball, though. It was more times that none, a wild one, shot out of season .

Old 11-11-2013, 07:27 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtloup View Post
Looks like you have the turkey down. Nice bird.
Thanks, Kurtloup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
KB,
Some of my most fond memories of Thanksgiving meals actually revolve around chicken instead of turkey. My mom would bake a couple of big hens, stuffed with "oyster" dressing....WOW!...... . Usually, the chicken turned out more moister and delicious than the turkey. The occasional turkey was not usually a butterball, though. It was more times that none, a wild one, shot out of season .
Oyster dressing......mmm..... Just brought back memories of my grandmother's oyster dressing although it wasn't in a chicken. It was in a pan from her oven ..........Great idea grandmother's dressing in the WFO maybe some in the chicken or turkey............. Bummer........... Mom thinks the recipe went with her.

Thanks Gulf, for the ride down memories lane.

PS
If you have your moms recipe I would like to give it a try if you don't mind.

KB

Old 11-12-2013, 05:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You don't know how sorry I am, that I do not have her recipe. I am sure that is a South Louisiana recipe. My grandmother was from Bogalusa by way of New Orleans. I am pretty sure that my mother was influenced by her. My mom was one heck of a chef. She was of of divorced parents. Her mom, from South louisana. Her dad, a "stump jumper" from Mississippi. I think that my grandpaw was heavily influenced by the "french" women that he met in Paris during WWI . My mom, grew up, living six months at a time with each parent. She learned to cook old south and cajun/creole dishes.

After WWII, my mom and dad moved to Texas. My dad eventually bought a road house. There, my mom was taught by a mexican cook. I never grew tired of moms cooking. When we moved back to Mississippi, there was so much variety in her dishes that it was unbeliveable by my young friends who came to visit regulary .

I do know that her recipe for oyster dressing was made from a baked southern cornbread "stuffing" recipe, though. I have done a few searches on google for oyster stuffing/dressing, and have ruled the ones that use bread crums out.

I do plan on doing some experimenting this holiday season .

Last edited by Gulf; 11-12-2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:15 AM
Apprentice

My extended family is from the Carolina low country and they always make oyster dressing for Thanksgiving. Maybe search for a Carolina recipe. I do know that they also use cornbread in conjunction with regular bread stuffing. To give it a Cajun base use the trinity (celery, onions, bell pepper) or maybe seek a Justin Wilson recipe or maybe a Paul Prudhomme recipe.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:36 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbartman View Post
Thanks, Kurtloup

Oyster dressing......mmm..... Just brought back memories of my grandmother's oyster dressing although it wasn't in a chicken. It was in a pan from her oven ..........Great idea grandmother's dressing in the WFO maybe some in the chicken or turkey............. Bummer........... Mom thinks the recipe went with her.

Thanks Gulf, for the ride down memories lane.

PS
If you have your moms recipe I would like to give it a try if you don't mind.

Ok Guys,
I have to confess. I was speaking to Mom the other day and telling her about my oyster stuffing memories she quickly corrected me and explained they were baked oysters. I guess I just associated the bread crumbs with stuffing and dressing, anyway they were delicious. She said my aunt may still have the recipe and give here a call.

Had another Pizza party last night, we baked about 12 pies, I lost count. I think it was pretty successful, had one turn out as a scattered calzone, it was still very tasty and got eaten. The pie making got a head of the cook and they sat to long on the peel. I did have to rake the coals over the area to clean the scorched cheesy area.

I'm getting better at turning and cooking the pies, although I did flipped one like a hamburger and it came out unscaved. I know that's probably hard to believe, I'm still wondering how it did not stick when I promptly flipped it back............ I got to stop to planning all theses get together and get finish my oven.

Anyway this morning with all the left over fixings and some eggs was a deep dish, thin and crispy breakfast pie:
sausage
bacon
ham
mushrooms
green peppers
onions
spinach
tomato
cheeses and spices:
Attached Thumbnails
What's Bartman Cooking-dscn2707.jpg   What's Bartman Cooking-dscn2709.jpg  

KB

Last edited by kbartman; 11-23-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:43 PM
Apprentice

Very nice...did you make the pizza in the pan?

Link to my pictures

Old 11-23-2013, 03:10 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirassou View Post
Very nice...did you make the pizza in the pan?
Nope just good cook....................Yes a well greased pan, used a rolling pin to make it round and put in a round cookie sheet pan. I let the dough rise and as it rose I pinched the dough up the sides to hold the fluffed egg mixture. Just a lucky experiment that went well...........

KB

Last edited by kbartman; 11-23-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:06 PM
Laborer

Default Roast Chicken

How did you do the Roast Chicken? Temps and times! It looks really good!