Old 09-12-2010, 12:08 PM
Master Builder

Default Tri-tip on the brick

Last night, as an experiment I placed a tri-tip directly on the cooking floor for a good sear, then moved it off out into the safe zone for it to reach ideal internal temp. The crust came out nice and blackened.

I was able to completely burn off the black stain on the cooking floor by raking coals over it for a few minutes and did pizza afterwards.
Attached Thumbnails
Tri-tip on the brick-p1050254.jpg   Tri-tip on the brick-p1050266.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 09-12-2010, 04:40 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Tri-tip on the brick

Drooling. Nice work.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:22 PM
Serf

that looks amazing......can't wait till minr is up and running
Old 11-06-2010, 10:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Sorry, but what is a tri-tip?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I believe it is part of the bottom sirloin (beef) and is a roast around 2 lbs, or so. Can be cut into steaks. I'm an eastern U.S. guy, the tri tip is very popular in California, this cut is usually turned into ground sirloin or steaks here in the east, unless you know a real butcher who handles full sides of beef.

George, I'm just guessing, is this cut best cooked to medium rare? Being part of the sirloin, I would think the fat content and marbling are low and it either needs cooked to death (long, slow cooked pot roast) or a good sear all around (rare, med rare).
Great job on your sear, looks like a nice light covering of bark.

RT

RT
Old 11-06-2010, 11:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks RT.........

Old 11-07-2010, 10:50 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTflorida View Post
George, I'm just guessing, is this cut best cooked to medium rare? Being part of the sirloin, I would think the fat content and marbling are low and it either needs cooked to death (long, slow cooked pot roast) or a good sear all around (rare, med rare).
Great job on your sear, looks like a nice light covering of bark.
Thanks, yes, tri-tips are generally cooked to med rare or med. I pull them out of the oven or grill when the internal temp reaches around 130, foil and rest a few minutes, then carve. Traditionally, they are grilled over red oak (which I prefer to do with my Weber kettle) but I also see a lot of folks smoking them as well, then doing a quick reverse sear.

On this set up on my Weber kettle I smoked a couple of tri-tips, then seared them at the end:
Attached Thumbnails
Tri-tip on the brick-p1050367.jpg  

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Last edited by fxpose; 11-07-2010 at 11:01 AM.