Old 12-02-2009, 06:03 AM
Peasant

Default Sweet Pizza

Had some dough left over on Saturday night so I smeared on some Nutella, drizzeled some Sainsbury Finest Custard and put on a handful of Morello Cherries that had been soaking in liquor.

We were all amazed at how good it tasted - even though it was using a regular savoury pizza dough.

Any other ideas for dessert pizza?
Old 01-05-2010, 12:04 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Sweet Pizza

I did an apple pizza which was a hit here. Again just using leftover pizza dough, I drizzled it with good olive oil then spread out a circular fan of very thinly sliced apples and a few slices around the edge. I sprinkled it with cinnamon and sugar and baked in a medium oven (cooled down from the pizzas we had made for dinner earlier). Very nice.

I also have done a mango turnover (pocket pie) in the WFO though that used a different dough, but good. I tried a mango pizza with bits of chocolate on it but not sure I'd do that again.

--Janine
Old 01-05-2010, 03:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Sweet Pizza

Blackjack

Quote:
We were all amazed at how good it tasted - even though it was using a regular savoury pizza dough.
To me (and I have wrong before), that dough is dough, yes sweets or bun dough can and often does have sugar added, but really only sweetens it a little. It is what we do that makes it a sweet or savoury but then again who cares eh?
When I have some left over dough and have guests or the grand children here, I put a little butter over a rolled out or stretched out dough base, sprinkle it with sultanas, a little sugar and cinnamon. Roll it up tight and then cut diagonally into 15mm slices and bake on a tray in the oven. let them cool a little and they go in a flash.
Let the mind go wild and enjoy. I just need to have some chocolate and toppings with fresh fruit to try next firing.
I also spread some home made apricot jam over a base and make a 'jam tart', something that my mother used to make when she baked and I miss!

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:03 PM
Master Builder

Hey Neill,

What the heck is a Sultana? Anything like a Bannana?
What does it taste like?

Christo

Old 01-07-2010, 12:53 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Sweet Pizza

Christo,
you people surprise me at times. Is there a different language with regards to basic food ingredients???
Sultanas are dried grapes that are used in cooking, another dried grape is the currant, (the black ones).
What do you call them over there???

Neill
Attached Thumbnails
Sweet Pizza-sultanas-1.jpg   Sweet Pizza-currants.jpg  

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 01-07-2010, 05:16 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissanneill View Post
...When I have some left over dough and have guests or the grand children here, I put a little butter over a rolled out or stretched out dough base, sprinkle it with sultanas, a little sugar and cinnamon. Roll it up tight and then cut diagonally into 15mm slices and bake on a tray in the oven. ...
Neill
That sounds amazing Neill - I am definitely going to give that a try next time I have extra dough from a pizza bake-off.

Rossco
Old 01-07-2010, 05:22 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissanneill View Post
Christo,
you people surprise me at times. Is there a different language with regards to basic food ingredients???
Sultanas are dried grapes that are used in cooking, another dried grape is the currant, (the black ones).
What do you call them over there???

Neill
They are called raisins over here.

Tom
Old 01-07-2010, 05:46 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

My pet hate at the moment are the raisins that have pips still in them.

Nothing worse than biting into a nice Xmas cake/pie and crunching your way through PIPS. Yuck!!!

[end rant]

Rossco
Old 01-07-2010, 06:05 AM
Peasant

I did the pizza dough with butter, cinammon and sugar rolled up and sliced--basically a cinnamon roll. I left out the raisins aka sultanas since here they have tons of bit of stem left--I gather the name for those nastys is "pips."

Language even when English is tricky--here in Uganda there are lots of English words which are not American for food. Some examples are courgettes which are zucchini, aubergines which are eggplants, chips which are fries, and crisps which are chips (aka potato chips). Even flours are a bit different--I don't know if Austrailia has Atta flour, but here that is a type of fine wholewheat (wholemeal?)flour. Plus there is "self raising" flour vs "self rising" and corn flour which I think is cornstarch.
Of course for me that is just the English-- the main local language here is Runyoro but Swahili is also considered a national language then there are about 60 plus other languages spoken in this district.
Amazingly food itself is mostly a universal language--I find that what tastes good to me usually tastes good to Ugandans also, though the strangeness of our foods to each other takes a little getting over.

--Janine
Old 01-07-2010, 12:27 PM
Laborer

Well the sultana is a raisin but it is specifically made from a sultania grape. We have other raisins generically just called raisins......confused?
LoL
Paul