Old 12-04-2007, 09:48 AM
Laborer

Default Slow-Roasted Yucatecan Pig

I was watching the Rick Bayless cooking show and he was cooking a pig in a backyard pit. And it hit me! I don't need the pit I can just use the wood oven. Here's the link to the recipes:

It won't let me post a link so google on "rick bayless recipes" its under "main dishes"

Believe it or not the pickled onions were great and the hot pink color really added to the food. Had all the kids & grandkids (9) over for a great meal. I bought the Achiote Spice at a local Hispanic market and the bananna leaves at the Asian Market. When you make the spice with the lime juice it comes out bright/brillant red. I'd post pictures but I don't know how.

BTW: I had a big stainless steel pan made up for cooking in the oven. Its 1/2-inch smaller than the opening and 28-inches long. With lots of handles (I use welding gloves when its hot), a lid (with a handle) and the rack, it works great! Used it for two 20-lb turkeys at Thanksgiving.

Try the pork - its great!
Chuckster (North Carolina)
Old 12-04-2007, 10:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Slow-Roasted Yucatecan Pig

I found the recipe.

It looks really good.

Here's the link:

Main Dishes Rick Bayless | Frontera

And watch out for that Habanero sauce. Those peppers are H O T HOT!

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My pics:

Old 12-04-2007, 11:43 AM
Apprentice

Is the 35 pound pig the dressed weight or live weight.
thanks
Old 12-04-2007, 11:58 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Chuckster - you need to leard how to attach pictures / thumbnails. I want to see that pan.

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:07 PM
Journeyman

I posted my first pictures yesterday with the following instructions provided by Asucavew (Dave) and it was quite easy. I would love to see pictures of the roasted pig.

To upload a photo, after you click on the post reply button, then click on the paper clip above...............................look straight up about here...(next to the smiley face)

Then click browse and then find the file on your computer. Then click upload... then post...
and you should be good to go

By the way how long did you slow-roast it?
Old 12-04-2007, 03:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I love all the Rick Bayless recipes. I highly reccommend his cookbooks. Really interesting stuff! I have done a similar recipe from one of his cookbooks. The Achiote is a very different flavor, savory, I Iike it...

Drake
Old 12-04-2007, 03:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakeRemoray View Post
The Achiote is a very different flavor, savory, I Iike it...

Drake

What is it exactly?

My costs:

My pics:

Old 12-04-2007, 04:24 PM
Apprentice

wikepedia
Achiote (Bixa orellana) is a shrub or small tree from the tropical region of the American continent. The name derives from the Nahuatl word for the shrub, achiotl. It is also known as Aploppas, and its original Tupi name urucu. It is cultivated there and in Southeast Asia, where it was introduced by the Spanish in the 17th century. It is best known as the source of the natural pigment annatto, produced from the fruit. The plant bears pink flowers and bright red spiny fruits which contain red seeds. The fruits dry and harden to brown capsules.

The inedible fruit is harvested for its seeds, which contain annatto, also called bixin. It can be extracted by stirring the seeds in water. It is used to color food products, such as cheeses, fish, and salad oil. Sold as a paste or power for culinary use, mainly as a colour, it is known as "achiote", "annatto" or "pimentao doce". It is a main ingredient in the Mexican spice mixture recado rojo, or "achiote paste". The seeds are ground and used as a nearly flavorless but colorful additive in Latin American, Jamaican and Filipino cuisine. Annatto is growing in popularity as a natural alternative to synthetic food coloring compounds. It is an important ingredient of cochinita pibil the spicy pork dish made famous in the film Once Upon a time in Mexico.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:14 PM
Laborer

This is a pic of the pork when it was done. This was before the new SS pan and I only did two shoulders to see how it would work out.

I tried to take a photo of the "Turkey Coffin" but I'll have to wait until daylight.
Attached Thumbnails
Slow-Roasted Yucatecan Pig-forum-pork.jpg  
Old 12-05-2007, 09:26 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster View Post
This is a pic of the pork when it was done. This was before the new SS pan and I only did two shoulders to see how it would work out.

I tried to take a photo of the "Turkey Coffin" but I'll have to wait until daylight.
Man that looks good!

My costs:

My pics: