Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Brick Oven Cooking > What You Cooked Last Night

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2014, 12:44 PM
Apprentice

Default Sea Salt

I make my own sea salt... after the bake when there is no 'juice' left for cooking it is a perfect time to do the final drying of my salt... gets it just right...nice and fluffy.
Attached Thumbnails
Sea Salt-pacific-pure.jpg  
cobblerdave likes this.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Sea Salt

Great idea,
do you just get a container of sea water when down at the beach and place it in a large flat tray when the oven is too cool to bake?
If so, it makes the most of the residual heat.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:48 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Sea Salt

The oven is used for the last step when the salt is removed from the bitterns... it is still 'wet'... so I spread it on glass trays and put in in the WFO for the final drying. I heat my house with a wood stove so in the winter I use a glass tray on a rack on the top of the oven to do the evaporation ( never boil )... the photo shows what you get from about 5 gallons of sea water... the sea is definitely salty. It makes an exquisite finishing salt... but I use it for everything.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Amazing that much salt from 5 gallons of sea water. Very nice. I have the Great Salt Lake here is Utah but I do not think I would trust the water out there to be very pure............I guess I will continue to buy my sea salt at Costco.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 02-24-2014, 05:01 PM
Serf

Never thought of this, great idea. Near my wife's hometown in Thailand they "mine" sea salt and sell along the road. Like Annie said it's full of water when you buy a bag of it. Not sure of the price after drying it out but I expect it to work out to somewhere around 25 cents per pound. Sea salt in the store, "brand name" is fairly expensive here..

Last edited by mmissler; 02-24-2014 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:29 PM
Apprentice

Some gourmet rare salts from Japan can go as high as $100 a pound... prime fleur de sel usually sells for $60 a pound.

I sell my salt to a few chefs (give it away to friends )... mine is like flakes of filo composed of little pyramids... it has a good crunch then a fast mouth melt. A simple special thing to do & enjoy.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:39 PM
Serf

Shhhh....if I tell my wife she will be using my oven non- stop for her salt business

I am a probably a couple of months away from trying the salt, it will be right up there wth the first pizza.

Thanks!
Old 02-25-2014, 01:18 PM
Apprentice

Very Cool idea! I live near the Jersey Shore and I'll bet I can get a lot more than just sea-salt out of that water.....
Old 02-26-2014, 12:45 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Sea Salt

We here in Adelaide, South Australia have been forced to accept a very expensive "desalination plant" at around Aus$1,800,000,000.00, yes $1.8billion dollars!!
It is "insurance for those drought years when we will need the very expensive water, how ere, getting back to the theme of this thread, it puts back into the gulf thousands of tons of sea salt as they extract around 70% of the water.
Wouldn't a logical person think of removing most or all of the water to on sell the salt? A great source of a valued commodity.
But who understands the mentality of the politicians who brazenly waste our hard earned taxes.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 02-26-2014, 03:48 AM
Master Builder

Seawater, in Spencer Gulf, is about 38 grams of total dissolved salts per litre,
That's 38 kg per kilolitre. That's 38 tonnes per Megalitre.
To do the 200 Megalitre per day desal plant for the Olympic Dam expansion, they were looking at dealing with over 7500t of salt per day.

That's a lot of pizzas.

I reckon the ocean off Adelaide is about 35 g/L.
I'm not sure how big the Adelaide desal plant is, but I do think the salt involved would sorta flood the market.

Not to mention putting Cheetham Salt (north of Ardrossan) outa business.

Which brings me to the question I was meaning to post in the first place. Seawater isn't just sodium chloride. It's got other stuff in it.
At Cheetham Salt, they manage the evaporation so as to precipitate the other stuff separately.
From memory, as you evaporate the water, the calcium precipitates first, leaving a brine with mostly the sodium chloride. This is decanted off and evaporated in another pond, leaving a precipitate of salt when the bitterns are run off.
Do people do that when they make their own? Or do they just precvipitate the whole lot?

Last edited by wotavidone; 02-26-2014 at 04:12 AM.