Old 10-13-2008, 07:26 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default scarlet runner beans

I grew scarlet runners this summer for the first time, and I must say, they're some of the prettiest beans I've ever grown! And I had hummingbirds on them all summer.

I let them dry, shelled them, and yesterday, I cooked them in the wfo. In my new terracotta pot from Forno Bravo. I added whole sage leaves, whole garlic cloves, a little olive oil and water to the dried beans, put the lid on, and left them in the oven for 5 hours or so. (it was less than 300 in there when I put them in, and still over 200 when I took them out) I did add some water halfway through when it had evaporated so the beans were exposed.

They were wonderful. Meaty and sweeter than pinto or cannellini beans, more like a Fava without the nasty skin. With some fresh bread and some more good olive oil, and some sea salt and pepper, it was a really first class meal.

Sorry no pics. We were too hungry to wait for the camera!

The new cookware performed like a champ.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.