Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Brick Oven Cooking > What You Cooked Last Night

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Annie M.
  • 1 Post By Annie M.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2014, 06:24 PM
Apprentice

Default Rustic Primitive

Today's bake... apple galettes... a little bit of sugar burn on the bottom edges... but they were bare baked on the bricks... they bloomed like flowers. My oven is working much better now that I am using a 3 inch thick fir door with a stack brick backup it really smooths the heat
Attached Thumbnails
Rustic Primitive-gale.jpg  
Old 01-31-2014, 06:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Rustic Primitive

That is simply beautiful, and I bet they taiste great too! I would love to try that myself, how about your recipee?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:25 PM
Apprentice

Rustic Apple Galette

This recipe will make three 7 inch galettes...

Pastry

2 Cups flour
3/4 Cup salted butter...cold
Water... very cold... use ice water

Cut the butter into small cubes then cut in to the flour... I use a Kitchenaid with the paddle attachment... just barely cut in the butter... you want to still see some actual butter... don't let it get to the crumbly stage... now add ice water a few Tbsp at a time until the dough just starts to hold together... I don't leave the mixer going I just give it a little blast with each addition of ice water. Now gather up your dough and divide it into 3 parts and form each one into a large hockey puck. Now go get your skates...(oops wrong recipe). Wrap each piece of dough in plastic and into the fridge for an hour (or more depending what is happening with the oven).

Filling

Apples... I use a tart apple like Granny Smith... about 2 large for each galette.
2/3 Cup Sugar
1/4 Cup butter melted (sometimes I cheat and add an extra tablespoon or 2)

Peel the apples... quarter & core... I have a solution of lemon juice and water that I dip them in at this point so they don't start to turn brown and will look nice and fresh when the galette is assembled.

Assembling the galette

Before I slice the apples I roll out the pastry to about 1/8 inch... they end up being about 10 inches across and then I put the rolled out pastry back in the fridge while I prepare the apples... slice them somewhat thin.

In a large bowl mix the sugar with the melted butter and toss in the sliced apples and make sure each slice has a nice experience with the butter and the sugar mixture.

Take your nice cold pastry and design your apples to within 2 inches of the edge... you can spiral them flat or go Picasso if you wish... I like to put mine almost on end instead of flat... I like lots of apple so I really pack it in. Now gently fold the pastry edge over your apple masterpiece... I don't tuck in too too tight so they bloom in the oven. I finish by sprinkling a little golden sugar on top... mostly on the pastry for a little bit of sweet crunch to contrast with the buttery texture of the apples.

Baking... my oven floor was about 400 F I had just finished doing bread... It took about 35 minutes to cook and I spun them a 180 after 15 minutes just because it was fun to do and it gave me an excuse to see how they were doing. If they spring a leak they may stick... so have a spatula handy... next time I might use a cookie sheet.

They are a lovely simple thing and it probably takes less time to make them than it did to read this recipe. Gulf... enjoy!!
cobblerdave, Gulf and Greenman like this.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks Annie,
I think that you just added the perfect Pièce de résistance for my spread this Superbowl Sunday

Old 01-31-2014, 08:43 PM
Apprentice

I would probably use a cookie sheet rather than straight on the bricks... or the 'resistance' might be the fight to get them off the deck... unless you enjoy that kind of thing of course
Gulf likes this.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie M. View Post
I would probably use a cookie sheet rather than straight on the bricks... or the 'resistance' might be the fight to get them off the deck... unless you enjoy that kind of thing of course
Will do,
I'll try a coookie sheet with a little shortening. That has worked great with most of my other trials .

Thanks again.

Last edited by Gulf; 01-31-2014 at 08:57 PM.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Flour butter water apples sugar and lemon juice. I trying to image the results, I recon it lets the apple be the hero.
I've re-read the recipe a couple of times now, its all about the way you put it together. You have explained really well how the butter doesn't quite all melt into the flour like a crumble mixture and the importance of the cold iced water to keep that butter from melting into the flour.
I'm printing this recipe out and I'm planning to try and get some old fashioned cooking apples from the farmers markets. Somehow I don't think the commercial Granny Smiths will do this justice.
Thanks go the detailed recipe, can't wait to try it.
Regards Dave

My Build

My Door

Old 02-02-2014, 07:27 AM
Apprentice

Sounds good, I found a similar recipe in a WFO book, so will give it a try