Old 11-20-2007, 05:22 PM
Master Builder

Default Rustic Meal: Sausage, Sweet Potatoes & Maple Cinnamon Apples

The first non-pizza meal tonight!
The fire was just meant to cure the oven a bit more but it seemed a shame to waste that good heat so we scrounged around and came up with a rather rustic meal - sweet potatoes with a bit of oil and maple syrup and Oktoberfest sausages, served up with some bread - just store-bought, but not for much longer - then, for dessert, maple cinnamon baked apples, which went on vanilla ice cream, accompanied with a splash of Frangelico liqueur. The sweet potatoes were just OK but the other dishes were delicious!
Attached Thumbnails
Rustic Meal: Sausage, Sweet Potatoes & Maple Cinnamon Apples-35_meal2-swtpotato.jpg   Rustic Meal: Sausage, Sweet Potatoes & Maple Cinnamon Apples-35_meal2-sausage.jpg   Rustic Meal: Sausage, Sweet Potatoes & Maple Cinnamon Apples-35_meal2-apples.jpg  
Old 11-20-2007, 09:28 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Re: Rustic Meal: Sausage, Sweet Potatoes & Maple Cinnamon Apples

Does anyone have a good sweet potato or yam recipe? I have tried a couple recently, but nothing is a keeper yet.

Sarah, the apples look wonderful.

James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:21 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yummy! I must try the baked apples - somehow I never thought of doing that. Its great to see you enjoying your oven so much (despite minor problems, which I am sure you'll sort out soon)
Old 11-22-2007, 01:45 AM
Journeyman

Hi James...........I have a couple I used when in UK. I have never tried them in a WFO but I sure they will be even better.

First one is garlic/rosemary roast because we love lamb.

Chop sweet potatoes in one and a half inch cubes, toss in a couple of tablespoons of olive oil and crushed garlic cloves to taste. Put in a roasting pan, sprinkle with chopped fresh rosemary, salt and fresh ground black pepper. Roast at about 450f. for about 40 minutes. Works as well for ordinary roast potatoes.

Next, in a nod towards Italy........Balsamic Roasted Sweet Potaotoes.

Mix together, 1 tablespoon unsalted, melted butter, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (older is better), any available fresh herbs chopped, salt and pepper. Toss and roast as in first recipe.

This works in a modern fan assist oven. In a WFO I would tend to monitor progress and turn the roasting pans if a fire is present.

If someone tries them before I do let us know the results.

inishta