Old 05-28-2010, 05:59 AM
Master Builder

Default Roasted peppers

We had a great harvest of peppers so I decided to roast them in the WFO (since I was heating it up anyway). I was amazed how easy it was. A little salt, chunks of garlic and EVOO liberally over the top.

Slide them into the oven on baking sheets and watch them closely cause it happens really fast. The WFO was on it's way up to pizza temp at about 550F(according to my broken oven thermometer).

Within 5 seconds, they were sizzling, about a minute on one side they were starting to char.. Give the pan a little shake to turn them, another minute on the other side and done. Of course, the fun part is peeling and seeding them.
Attached Thumbnails
Roasted peppers-roastedpeppers1.jpg   Roasted peppers-roastedpeppers4.jpg   Roasted peppers-roastedpeppers5.jpg   Roasted peppers-roastedpeppers2.jpg   Roasted peppers-roastedpeppers3.jpg  

Old 05-29-2010, 10:28 AM
Laborer

Default Re: Roasted peppers

Are the long peppers a hot or sweet pepper? They sure look good !
Old 05-29-2010, 07:12 PM
Master Builder

The long narrow ones are sweet peppers and the others were obviously bell peppers. There was one jalapeno in there. I like the colorful ones too. Try it, it's very easy in the WFO. I did about a bushel in 30 minutes. Of course the WFO was already hot, 500F. Thanks John
Old 05-29-2010, 07:17 PM
Master Builder

Did anyone see the the coconut shell in the fire? DON'T DO THIS!!!! They pop like a firecracker inside your oven. My wife told me to do it just to see what happens. It popped and spewed ashes all over, including my beautiful peppers.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:30 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Very interesting about the coconut exploding. A few years back I was given a case of extruded coconut charcoal that stayed hot forever and had a sweet, mild flavor. Unfortunately, it's only available for sale in San Diego now so haven't been able to restock it.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:08 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I haven't roasted any, but I have dried some jalapenos and serranos. In anticipation of a long, hot, and dry summer I didn't plant my normal jalapeno, habenaro, serrano, tabasco, and wax peppers. All I have is a native chile petin.