Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Brick Oven Cooking > What You Cooked Last Night

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By austinmc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2013, 06:35 PM
Apprentice

Default Recent Pizzas

We've been in the habit of doing pizza on Saturday nights ever since the weather turned nice. Wanted to share a couple of "deluxe" extras on our recent batch.

First, roasting tomatoes for our margheritas:

I literally just had time to set down my oven rake, pick up the camera, take the picture, set down the camera, and pick the oven rake up again to pull them out.

Also, a capicola pizza:

If you have tried capicola on a pizza, you must. It's an Italian cured salume, akin to prosciutto, but made from the boston butt, rather than the ham. The flavor is a delightful cross between prosciutto and pepperoni. It is quite possibly the perfect pizza topping: something about the flavor melds perfectly with the tomato sauce and basil, creating a heavenly combination. Recommended.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:42 AM
Peasant

Default Re: Recent Pizzas

wow....that looks yummy your dough look GREAT. If you do not mind.....could I get your recipe for the dough. Have had my oven for about 1 month, and always looking for a good dough recipe(and any other recipe I can get).......................cheers
oasiscdm and maxsbarandgrill like this.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:48 AM
Master Builder

That looks great! Never heard of Capicola-Thanks.

Texman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:33 AM
Serf

I want to know how you had THREE fully cooked but uneaten pizzas! Did you cook them all at the same time? I have been cooking one at a time, not because the oven wouldn't hold more but because I don't think I could manage it. And even though it is only 2 minutes till the next one, the first one is mostly gone before the next one comes out.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:29 PM
Master Builder

They look great and it looks like you have the dough nailed. Have to do some searching for Capicola. Nice to see great food like this.

Build Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 09-02-2013, 03:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Great looking pizzas and toppings, Salute!
Old 09-03-2013, 03:27 AM
Serf

Awesome looking crust, please help us out with the dough recipe and preparation method/time/technique!
Old 09-04-2013, 06:30 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhs View Post
I want to know how you had THREE fully cooked but uneaten pizzas! Did you cook them all at the same time? I have been cooking one at a time, not because the oven wouldn't hold more but because I don't think I could manage it. And even though it is only 2 minutes till the next one, the first one is mostly gone before the next one comes out.
I was just cooking for myself, my wife and our almost-three-year-old on this occassion. Makes more sense to finish cooking and then sit down all together. I do cook two at a time, in a staggered fashion. First pizza goes to the back of the oven, then pull it to the front when it's time to rotate, then load the next one to the back, etc.

For those asking about crust, I follow a slightly modified version of Peter Reinharts recipe from Artisan Breads Every Day, which is essentially reproduced here: Classic Pizza Dough, Neo-Neapolitan-Style, though I use less yeast (1 tsp per 5 dough balls) and a bit more olive oil (as much as twice what he calls for). However, I divide and ball the dough and place them in individual lidded containers prior to refrigerating--this makes it much easier to stretch the dough for crusts.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:55 PM
Master Builder

man those look GREAT.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:56 AM
Laborer

Nice looking pizzas!