Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Brick Oven Cooking > What You Cooked Last Night

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By v12spirit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2014, 07:51 AM
Journeyman

Default Prime kebab feast

I used to be my family's kebab "expert" for 14 years now. We made a feast for my uncle today. It was all done by me on a primitive grill. Kebab is grilled on coals not on direct fire.
Prime kebab feast-kebab-ready-grill.jpg Prime kebab feast-grilling-kebab.jpg Prime kebab feast-kebab-served.jpg
The appetizers beside kebab (made by my wife) are mashed potato dip, salad, rice and vegs stuffed grape leaves.
Prime kebab feast-appetizers.jpg
The best thing to have after kebab is tea flavored with cardamom and made on the coals remains.
Prime kebab feast-tea-cardamom.jpg
Old 05-03-2014, 11:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Prime kebab feast

A lesson for me, that great food does not necessary have to come from fancy Viking grills or such and that from "primitive" ovens is where our WFOs evolved from.

I am a big fan of your regional food. Local restaurants try hard but pales in comparison to what I see you cooking. Keeps sending your pics. BTW, how's your oven project doing?

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 05-04-2014 at 06:02 AM.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:51 AM
Journeyman

Hi Russel!
Thank you for the kind words. My steel oven is waiting for the good iron fabricator to copy my cardboard model. He claims that he has some work to do before he can start my project. Moreover, I've been saving money for months to buy the state of the art insulators and refractories; the armed conflict here made the prices of every thing mad. Being in the beginning of the month, I'll order in a day or two for calsil insulation bricks and mortar. To be honest, I am becoming jealous over those who have brick ovens when I hear them talking about multiple day heat retention and want to start building a new brick oven in the garden too. The indoor steel one will be for getting what I want when I want, and the garden brick one will be for summer dinners and suppers. So I'm now picking up materials as long as I can.
Thanks for being interested
Old 05-04-2014, 02:43 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Prime kebab feast

G'day V12 spirit
That's a pretty impressive feast. I showed my wife as she was impressed. She wants us to bring out the Tuscan grill again and try it with some kebabs.
If you like cooking over coals the Tuscan grill will impress you. You bring you oven up to moderate temperature and let the fire die to coals. Then you put the grill in the oven mines just a BBQ grill lifted on 7 in bolts. The heat rises from the coals and is reflected down from the dome. Things cook real fast with that wood fired flavour, and tender its amazing. I've only used it once to cook a butterflied lamb shoulder, it was good. But I didn't do to well with the potatoes so I recon a bit more practice is needed.
Keep that good food coming, at first its all about pizza but I'm slowly learning its really a wood fired oven not just a pizza oven.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 05-04-2014, 04:28 AM
Journeyman

Hi dave,
I'm glad you and your wife like our feast. Thanks for suggesting the Tuscan grill, I'll be using it for grilling chicken, but the grills here have no legs, I'll be modifying one for my new oven. I'll keep posting good meals as long as we make them.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:41 AM
Master Builder

Looks great, those are the kebabs we make during our family gatherings.
Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

My Build:
Old 05-18-2014, 07:37 AM
Apprentice

Awesome kebabs!