Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Brick Oven Cooking > What You Cooked Last Night

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Novaslo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 08:44 AM
Serf

Default pork carnita

WOOD-FIRED OVEN PORK CARNITAS

5-10 LBS PORK SHOULDER
1/4 TO 1/2 32 OZ BOTTLE OF GOYA MOJO CRIOLLO OR YOUR OWN BITTTER ORANGE MOJO MARINADE
1/2 CUP SWEET SOY SAUCE
WHOLE GARLIC CRUSHED
LARGE ONION MINCED
SEVERAL CHIPOLTES IN ADOBO SAUCE (TO TASTE)
1/4 CUP CHOPPED FRESH CILANTRO
1 TBSP SEA SALT
2 TBSP COARSE BLACK PEPPER

PREPARE THE MARINADE WITH ALL THE INGREDIENTS AND PLACE PORK IN OVERNIGHT. I USUALLY

PREPARE THIS THE DAY I MAKE THE PIZZAS SO THE OVEN TEMP STARTS AROUND 350 DEGREES THE

NEXT DAY. IT THEN GOES INTO A LARGE ENAMELED CAST IRON COVERED POT WITH ALL THE

MARINADE WITH THE OVEN DOOR CLOSED FOR 5-8 HOURS, ROTATING THE MEAT ONCE AN HOUR. THE

OVEN TEMP IS BEST AROUND 275 DEGREES, SO THE DOOR CAN BE OPENED TO SLOW COOK, ONCE THE

CONTENTS GETS HOT. TOWARDS THE END I LIKE TO TAKE THE LID OFF TO BROWN THE MEAT AND

EVAPORATE HALF OF THE LIQUID. IT FALLS APART, SO HANDLE GENTLY. IT IS READY TO EAT, BUT

IS EVEN BETTER BROILED TO CRISP THE EDGES AFTER IT IS FORKED APART. WE USE IT IN TACOS

AND REALLY LIKE IT ON PIZZA WITH SWEET CORN AND PEPPERS WITH A BARBEQUE SAUCE. Enjoy!
Old 08-24-2014, 09:35 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: pork carnita

Ok I used your recipe.....it was a serious hit. I cooked 15lbs of Pork Ball Tips from Costco. Holy cow did it turn out excellent. Here is what we did.

Marinate in the marinade above. In my case it was overnight. I fired my oven and cooked Pizza on Friday night and the pork was to be done on Saturday.

I left the door cracked open all night and the next morening the oven was about 300 - I took the door off at 6 am and took the meat out of the fridge.

At 7:30 the oven was 250 on the floor and 300 up top. After putting in the meet using three pots- Lodge - Le Crueset etc.
the temp settled at 250....So we were good.

I took em out at 2:30 and they were perfect. I had a lot of juice left and the meat was readty to shred. Utlizing the juice in the pans from the marinade, it seemed like there was too much in each pot but after shredding and putting it back in before serving, it was perfect.

The only change I made to the recipe, I went easy on the Goya Chipotle as to not make it too hot. I was able to find Goya Mojo and Goyo Chipotle Mojo. This allowed me to not use canned chipotle and the spice or heat was perfect. I used 2/3 of the bootle of mojo and about a 1/2 cup of the Chipotle Mojo. Spice was good.

Everyone loved the meat, I had about 30 people over and we made Burritos with a bit of a cuban flair, this pork and Cuban Beans. I then had people make thier burritos and then we put them in the oven and cooked them on the harth. Golden brown etc.

It was truly epic and an awesome unforgettable Burrito.

Thanks for the recipe.
GrahamG likes this.

I often cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food...
WC Fields

Link to my build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:37 AM
Apprentice

Here is a shot of the meat.
Attached Thumbnails
pork carnita-image.jpg  

WC Fields

Link to my build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:32 PM
Serf

I am glad you enjoyed the pork! After I take it out of the cooking juices, I like to broil it to get little crispy bits for fajita's etc. The oven does it with the pizza, so that step is not necessary, but it also cooks away the residual lumps of fat when not on pizza. The juices are very good as a pizza sauce when I mix in some adobo or barbeque sauce and reduce it in a sauce pan. Also good for a sauce topping for the pork. Enjoy!
Old 08-25-2014, 12:58 AM
Journeyman

Im going to plant a bitter orange just to make the sauce

Looks and sounds excellent
Old 08-25-2014, 07:37 AM
Serf

Goya makes a good Mojo, or you can substitute 1/2 fresh orange and 1/2 fresh lemon. Bitter orange is usually those semi-colored oranges from uncultivated trees, sour!
Old 08-25-2014, 08:18 AM
Apprentice

Finishing the Burrito on the hearth in the oven was the capper....That will be the new method..

WC Fields

Link to my build

Old 08-25-2014, 08:32 AM
Apprentice

It looks gorgeous! Will have to give it a try, how hot is it really, I am British...

Old 08-26-2014, 01:15 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansvdb View Post
Goya makes a good Mojo, or you can substitute 1/2 fresh orange and 1/2 fresh lemon. Bitter orange is usually those semi-colored oranges from uncultivated trees, sour!
I used to have one of these but it died in the drought a few years back

Citrus myrtifolia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It would be good for this and great for marmalade and other stuff too.
Its just such a good complex flavour profile that would go great to cut through the fattiness of pork.

I never thought of it till this thread but its so obvious.

Thanks