Old 10-28-2012, 10:41 AM
Journeyman

Default Piral Dish Cracked!

I have been using piral dishes for some time now but yesterday one cracked in the oven???? It has a sizable crack from the middle to the end. Anyone else have this problem? Should I not be using it in the high heat oven??
Thanks

John

Photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oven Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:49 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Piral Dish Cracked!

Piral is supposed to be suitable for use in high-temperature ovens, so I don't think it's the heat per se. Did you hydrate it and season it before your first use?
Old 10-31-2012, 04:45 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by azatty View Post
Piral is supposed to be suitable for use in high-temperature ovens, so I don't think it's the heat per se. Did you hydrate it and season it before your first use?
The dish was seasoned and we used regularly in the oven but not at this high heat before. Oven was around 750 degrees F this time. We have used it before for roasting potatoes, squash etc. @ 500 degrees F Not sure what to do or not do with my other piral dishes and temps. We have an e-mail into the distributor we purchased from, but alas, with the Hurricane Sandy damage we haven't heard a reply back yet.

Photos:

Oven Blog:
Old 10-31-2012, 05:36 PM
Apprentice

Did you cycle it from cold to hot too suddenly? Like straight from the freezer to the 750 degree oven? Piral is supposed to take up to 750 to 800.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:57 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by azatty View Post
Did you cycle it from cold to hot too suddenly? Like straight from the freezer to the 750 degree oven? Piral is supposed to take up to 750 to 800.
Nope, It went from the cupboard (70 degrees F)to the kitchen counter, filled with beef bones, covered with foil and placed in the throat of the oven. I then rotated the dish several times to ensure even heat. Here are a couple of pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Piral Dish Cracked!-img_1190_sml.jpg   Piral Dish Cracked!-img_1196_sml.jpg  

Photos:

Oven Blog:
Old 10-31-2012, 07:46 PM
Apprentice

That's an odd looking crack, too. Wait for the vendor to respond, I suppose.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

What is the dish made from?

Old 11-01-2012, 06:44 AM
Apprentice

It's a terracotta dish.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:49 AM
Apprentice

I gave up using all clay type cookware in my wood oven. I think it is the pushing in over the rough surface of the oven floor that cracks that rather brittle clay cookware. I have tried a number of types, but they all break. Use metal. It can take the sliding over a rough surface and not be affected.