Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Brick Oven Cooking > What You Cooked Last Night

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2013, 10:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Outback cooking.

Outback cooking.
Well, deepest darkest Outback cooking just north of Melbourne that is.

Chook, corn and camp oven spuds carrot and pumpkin.
Attached Thumbnails
Outback cooking.-img_1003.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:21 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Outback cooking.

Chook? As is Chookin as in Chicken?
Gulf likes this.

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
Old 11-30-2013, 05:54 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

That's right Garner,
I learned some time ago on this International site to google what "they said" and the "country" of origin (chook + australia) to find out what they are talking about . It also works with non-english speaking languages . Sometimes I even have to do that to translate what they are talking about up "nawth"............. here in the US of A .
brickie in oz and cobblerdave like this.

Last edited by Gulf; 11-30-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
That's right Garner,
I learned some time ago on this International site to google what "they said" and the "country" of origin (chook + australia) to find out what they are talking about . It also works with non-english speaking languages . Sometimes I even have to do that to translate what they are talking about up "nawth"............. here in the US of A .
Gudday
Happens the same here too. Rock melon become a canalope, telegraph post becomes stobbie pole. And to add insult to injury ... The spell check being American based in this phone hates them all .
Regards Dave

My Build

My Door

Old 11-30-2013, 08:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Never heard of stobbie pole, must be a regional thing.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
I'm thinking it could be South Australian but I could be wrong. One thing for sure its definitely from south of the border. That is south of the Queensland / rest of Aust. Border
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 12-01-2013, 01:58 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Rock melon become a canalope, telegraph post becomes stobbie pole.
Was going to say have never heard of a stobbie pole before either, however then read it is not a Queensland thing. I guess that is what you get for never leaving this great state of ours!

Have never heard of canalope before. Is it American?

Has anybody every tried a camp oven in a pizza oven? I guess why would you bother, just cook straight in the pizza oven.

Regards

Mark
Old 12-01-2013, 02:24 AM
Master Builder

Until some people changed the terminology a chicken was what hatched from the egg, in other bird species it is referred to as a chick. They developed into roosters and hens -the male and female mature.

With the arrival of 'Southern Fried Chicken' the language changed to some extent and along with the dietary change for all but farm dwellers, most Australians only got the privilege of eating 'chook' or 'fowl' at Easter and Christmas because they were expensive.

To put it in perspective, my Dad used to pay the equivalent of $2 each for roosters (live) when he earned $3/day working on the farm that raised them. That is why they were festival food. I am talking about 45 years ago.

Now, chicken is cheap meat and widely consumed.

With this country having embraced consumption of what is presented by 'The Colonel', the dude with the Golden Arches, the various cola companies and the like the 'whip handle lean' bronzed Aussies moved onto the same path as where the rest of the world that embraced that culinary direction. We are now moving rapidly towards obesity and diabeties (type 2) is up there with the worst in the world.

Simple food from the forno is a good thing. Made from scratch without numbers it is a very healthy option. Treats and festive food are different.

Simplistic it might be................ Just sayin'

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 12-01-2013, 03:57 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnl View Post
Was going to say have never heard of a stobbie pole before either, however then read it is not a Queensland thing. I guess that is what you get for never leaving this great state of ours!

Have never heard of canalope before. Is it American?

Has anybody every tried a camp oven in a pizza oven? I guess why would you bother, just cook straight in the pizza oven.

Regards

Mark
Gudday
I was a sailor (navy) for 21 yrs I was brought up in a RAAf brat so I'm used to may places and travel and new ideas. I'm surer now that stobbie pole is SA or western VIC 70s vernacular .
A Dutch oven , camp oven, should be great to use in a WFO cause its caste its thick and unlike thin cookware its slow to take quick changes in temperature , so its a lot more even cook. Notice brickies is a proper bushies camp oven and has a flat lid which he has piled up a bed of coals so the heat comes from top and bottom. It's sealed so the moisture stays in and you can't beat it for cooking damper, bugger the "chuck it in the ash bit" it really needs a camp oven.
I haven't thought about using a camp oven in a WFO till this. Though I have used a tangine which is much the same sort of cooking thing in the way that its sealed, and you leave it to cook low and slow. Pherhaps it that a camp oven is heavy to handle and I haven't thought about it in the WFO or pherhaps I'm to used to using it with a bed of coals on the top... Would you need that in a WFO ?
Anyway food for thought.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 12-01-2013, 04:28 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
Until some people changed the terminology a chicken was what hatched from the egg, in other bird species it is referred to as a chick. They developed into roosters and hens -the male and female mature.

With the arrival of 'Southern Fried Chicken' the language changed to some extent and along with the dietary change for all but farm dwellers, most Australians only got the privilege of eating 'chook' or 'fowl' at Easter and Christmas because they were expensive.

To put it in perspective, my Dad used to pay the equivalent of $2 each for roosters (live) when he earned $3/day working on the farm that raised them. That is why they were festival food. I am talking about 45 years ago.

Now, chicken is cheap meat and widely consumed.

With this country having embraced consumption of what is presented by 'The Colonel', the dude with the Golden Arches, the various cola companies and the like the 'whip handle lean' bronzed Aussies moved onto the same path as where the rest of the world that embraced that culinary direction. We are now moving rapidly towards obesity and diabeties (type 2) is up there with the worst in the world.

Simple food from the forno is a good thing. Made from scratch without numbers it is a very healthy option. Treats and festive food are different.

Simplistic it might be................ Just sayin'
Gudday Steve
Yes I lived in that era where frozen "chooks" were raffled down at the local pub on a sat night.
My Nan had "chooks" they supplied us with great eggs. If a Hen suddenly got broody and sat on a clutch of eggs she was separated with her eggs and let bring her chickens out. As with the way of things, 50 per cent of them would be male and 50 female. The males were separated and feed the best of chicken scrapes and finally became Sunday chicken. They were used quite young and usually because of there size a pair would be cooked. They were young and sweet.
Otherwise one of the older hens would stop laying, well waste not, she would be first boiled then baked to give her flavour and colour. A lot dryer roast. But the meat was put back in the stock and we would have a soup.
I said before " waste not" well these days we don't waste those chickens that have reached there " use by date" for egg laying, there are heaps of foods that have chicken in them aren't there.
Our current hens are to the end of there egg laying life .... But they will have a simple burial at the end of it ..... I'm sure the child bride and the kids would like that more and me too......
Regards dave

My Build

My Door