Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Brick Oven Cooking > What You Cooked Last Night

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2013, 07:25 AM
Laborer

Default Oak Smoked Pulled Pork

Last night at about 1700 hrs (5:00pm) I lit a 10lb batch of Doug fir and let it burn until it was almost out - that was about 30 min. Then I threw in a 5 lb chund of Oak to set up a longer burning heat source for the bricks and to get rid of any lingering Doug fir smell. this burned for about 30 min. All that was left was flickering coals. I sealed the oven.

while this is going on, I had 2 x 10lb pork shoulder butts, washed and air dried in an aluminium foil lined pan - fat side down - salt and pepper only.

At 1900 hours (7:00pm) the floor temp had decreased to 300 degrees and was falling very slowly. I put a 1 lb chunk of oak on the burning embers now pulled to the left side of the oven. I let it ignite and start to smoke.

I put the pork in on the far right side and partially closed the door so that the smoke would continue. I was then able to close the oven fully and let the smoke and moisture stay in the oven. Over the next 2 hours I put in 2 more 1 lb chunks of oak to keep up the smoke.

At 2100 hours (9:00 pm) I close the oven off.

At 0700 hours (7:00 am) today I took these pixs of the pork.

they smell oaky and wonderful. They are resting for about an hour so before I pull the pork.

The oven is still at 240 degrees.
Attached Thumbnails
Oak Smoked Pulled Pork-100_3507.jpg   Oak Smoked Pulled Pork-100_3491.jpg   Oak Smoked Pulled Pork-100_3508.jpg   Oak Smoked Pulled Pork-100_3509.jpg  
Gulf likes this.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:05 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Oak Smoked Pulled Pork

Looks very tasty, you might also want to try and smoke pork tenderloins, cut them into steaks about 1.5 - 2 inches thick and give them a rub - then smoke them on an elevated rack or screen, also very tasty.

The split ribs I made a few weeks ago also turned out nice.

Chip
Attached Thumbnails
Oak Smoked Pulled Pork-image.jpg  
Gulf and navyintel like this.

Last edited by mrchipster; 06-14-2013 at 08:08 AM.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:50 AM
Laborer

Great idea with the split ribs - they are small enough so that you don"t have to have a full rack that might take up a lot of room.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyintel View Post
Great idea with the split ribs - they are small enough so that you don"t have to have a full rack that might take up a lot of room.
I stand them in an upside down turkey roaster rack (shown in previous photo) so they are separated and get a good smoke. The rack is placed on a Tuscan grill to elevate them in the oven. Apple wood smoked.

Chip
Old 06-14-2013, 04:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchipster View Post
Looks very tasty, you might also want to try and smoke pork tenderloins, cut them into steaks about 1.5 - 2 inches thick and give them a rub - then smoke them on an elevated rack or screen, also very tasty.

The split ribs I made a few weeks ago also turned out nice.

Chip
That looks like a Super Bowl Sunday offering if I ever saw one

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
That looks like a Super Bowl Sunday offering if I ever saw one
SuperBowl's are way to far apart to wait for these, I am thinking more like month end specials or something like that.
Gulf likes this.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:48 PM
Serf

Chip- How did you cook the ribs? What Temps did you operate at?

I have a door for my Firerock Pizza Oven that has holes at the botom that will allow some air draw. Did both you guys shut the oven completely off? (Meaning you didnt allow any heat escape up the chimney?)

--Scott
Old 06-20-2013, 05:51 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain adventures View Post
Chip- How did you cook the ribs? What Temps did you operate at?

I have a door for my Firerock Pizza Oven that has holes at the botom that will allow some air draw. Did both you guys shut the oven completely off? (Meaning you didnt allow any heat escape up the chimney?)

--Scott
Oven temp was about 200 with a small smoldering pile off to the side of the oven. Throw a couple of 1 inch diameter apple sticks on the ember pile.

The apple smokes so much that when I take the door off it is so smokey I cannot see anything in the oven.

Door insulated door completely closed, my oven seems to leak just enough air to keep the coals from going out. Smoked for 3-4 hours, removed the ribs, brought up the heat to about 300 removed the coals and put ribs back in and cooked for another 2- 3 hours
Old 06-20-2013, 01:24 PM
Laborer

I did it a little different. I smoked it at 300 with the door pulled so that the smok wwas thick and fire was low. After about 4 hours, reinstalled the door.

Next time I am starting at 200 with about 5lbs of oak and letting it burn low for the smoke 4 hours then close the door.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:05 PM
Master Builder

That looks awesome, what i would do differently is put the shoulder fat side up, and filled the pan with some apple juice. That way the fat cap is on top and doesnt dry up, the fat drip slowly down the side and into the pan. Either way it looks great. Next time try Peach wood, its amazing.