Old 04-15-2013, 09:50 AM
Serf

Default Muffins, Pizza, Foccasia, Turkey

After an evening of pizza, the next morning:

Oven Casa2G 100

Oven temperature at 8:00am 425 degrees: Pan of blueberry muffins (elevated on a Tuscan Grill), a Chicago Style deep dish pizza - using left over ingredients from the previous evening, and a Stromboli. All turned out very well and golden brown.

I choose to elevate certain things to prevent burning the bottom:

Roasted Turkey - Stats:

Oven Temperature: 375 degrees (cheap oven thermometer on the floor) Actual floor temperature estimated at 400+ degrees. (I forgot to take that reading).
Door Temperature: 300
Turkey: 10.9 pound Butterball. Whole Onion and celery stuffed in both cavities. Rubbed with butter & seasonings. Wireless meat thermometer inserted into the breast.
Steel Roaster covered and elevated off the floor with a Tuscan Grill
Cook time: In at 1025 hours out: 1325 hours. 3 hours elapsed cooking time
Internal reading at 1105 hours. 30 minutes elapsed time: 160 Degrees. Wireless thermometer reinserted into the breast. New reading 93 degrees.
1325 hours wireless temperature reading 208 degrees. Second (handheld) meat thermometer confirms 208 degrees.

Note: Turkey is done at 175 internal breast temperature; 180 degrees in the thigh. Generally roasted at 15/20 minute per pound at 325 degrees.

I had to leave unexpectedly during roasting, but I speculate that it was done at about 2.5 hours of roasting.

Conclusion: Success! I'm glad I used a Butterball Turkey. The pre-brine must have saved the bird, because it wasn't dry. Covering the bird is necessary. It was nice and brown. I think because it was elevated, the dome heat played a significant role. Afterwards I did a pan of stuffing in a steel pan right on the floor for about an hour, and a pan of foccasia elevated on the grill. Both worked very well.

I elected to start roasting the turkey at 375 in thinking that I should compensate for temperature drop. But this wasn't the case. I speculate I could have waited until the oven dropped to 325 and roasted for a longer time.