Old 09-07-2009, 09:11 PM
Journeyman

Default Jerk Pork Pizza

My first foray into non-neo. pizza and it was super tasty.
I had some smoked pulled pork leftover from a shoulder that I did a while ago. Put that on a stretched skin plus a drizzle of some reduced jerk marinade, sliced shallot, aged cheddar/mozz mix and some EVOO over everything. Topped with chopped green onions once it came out of the oven. The kicker was some tangy, lime-y slaw as a side to spoon over top of each slice...sort of like a pulled pork sandwich only better and easier to eat.

It needed chopped fresh cilantro but my grocery store was out today. A squeeze of lime juice at the finish would be fantastic depending on the acid level of the slaw. And my preference for authentic pre-made jerk paste is Walkerswood brand, which for this I would mix maybe 50/50 with BBQ sauce and either toss the pork in it first or thin it out to the consistency of tomato sauce and use that way. I am out out of Walkerswood so I had to improvise with what amounted to a spicy syrup. Delicious, but I can't wait to try it again with my favorite stuff.
Pictures shortly!
Old 09-08-2009, 05:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Jerk Pork Pizza

Sounds good, cant wait too see the pics
Old 09-09-2009, 05:25 PM
Journeyman

Pictures, yay!

Old 09-09-2009, 05:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

wow splat,,

looks great,, the only bad thing I can think of about owning a WFO is the amount of exercise I have to do after eating all the great food...

Enjoy
Old 09-09-2009, 05:41 PM
Journeyman

No kidding. I used to joke that I need to get "running for bacon" printed on the back of all of my running tops, but lately I think I need to change that to "running for pizza".

I'm on mission to do reuben pizzas next. I'm waiting on some rye flour and then I'm going to start working on a good rye pizza dough recipe.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I havent had a good reuben in years,, which gives me a thought... What do you think about a reuben calzone ??
Old 09-09-2009, 06:35 PM
Journeyman

mmmmmmmm. Reubens. At my house, it's one of things the cast iron skillets get a lot of use for. With lots of homemade thousand island dressing and about six napkins.

Reuben calzone. Absolutely yes. Maybe even better than as pizza, although I'll say I'm already dreaming about what ridiculous goodness happens to the aforementioned homemade thousand island dressing on a pizza skin at 800 degrees. Of course all closed up inside a calzone means more cheesy, dressing-y deliciousness. mmmmmm. such a tasty dilemma.

You know those little antique toas-tite thingies that make a pie out of bread slices and your favorite filling in the campfire? I bet they'd work great for reubens in the WFO. Maybe as appetizers...
Old 09-09-2009, 06:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

i actually have one of those things,,, would you put raw dough in it with the filling ?
Old 09-09-2009, 09:39 PM
Journeyman

um, yea, and we'll need a full report on the results. Might be a fun alternative to dessert pizza, too. Mini-reuben calzones...sounds like something that should be on a great bar menu.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:27 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Splat,,, This is good, Now I have my weekend menu planned,, Will post some pics before and after cooking... Do you think I should preheat the clamp thingy and maybe lighlty oil it before i put the fillins in to cook ???