Old 06-17-2012, 12:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Heirloom Tomato Galette WFO

The Los Angeles Times had a recipe this week for a Savory Tomato Galette and we were firing up the wfo for beer-can chix and thought this recipe would be super in the wfo.

You make a simple non-sweet Galette (pastry) dough. I imaging a store bought frozen would be fine but it was simple to make. Flour, Crisco, butter tsp of salt-sugar-cider vinager & ice water...you get the message.

Inside was cut up heirlooms tomatoes, garlic, kalamata olives, evo, salt, pepper (draining in a colander for the 2 hours that the dough was setting up in the frdige), We forgot to buy fresh garlic so I had shallots instead.

WFO was 450 deg, it was done in 20 minutes:

And the finished product (before the basil strips were strewn on top):

Ate at room temp as a side to the chix. The rich dough was great with the ripe tomatoes. We'll make it again but also do it with a sweeter dough and sliced peaches, raspberries, almond slivers and sugar instead for a wfo desert rustic galette.

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 12:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Heirloom Tomato Galette WFO

Beautiful and I bet tasty too.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:22 PM
Journeyman

Dino,
That looks fantastic, we need to be able to taste test these dishes! It looks like you are truly enjoying the fruits of your labor!
Great idea with the dessert... we make a pear pizza with butter,cinnamon, brown sugar and cooked pears, on the pie. Then on the side, mix ricotta and confectioners sugar, then add on as a sauce after it comes out of the oven!
You can tell I haven't eaten dinner yet!
I haven't tried ribs yet, your pics are making me try it next weekend!
Thanks
John

Photos:

Oven Blog:
Old 06-18-2012, 08:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks John,
I love pears so that sounds like a good desert to try.
thanks, Dino

My Oven Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 02:22 AM
Apprentice

Dino

After I read this, I came to realize that you really are just an amature! Everyone can criticize me for how long it is taking me to complete my oven, but I always have remaind true to the basics as much as possible. Even though I have been here in Saudi Arabia I can honestly say that I have NEVER EVER RUN OUT OF FRESH GARLIC!!!

Gary
Old 06-19-2012, 05:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Believe me Gary, my reaction was "really?", "We have no cloves of garlic in the whole house?" We make the "rounds" at least weekly (Costco to Trader Joes to Whole Foods to the Mediterranean Market, repeat, repeat, repeat) and neither of us thought about garlic.

You can use that "but I'm in Saudi #@&!$ing Arabia and can't possibly finish my oven" excuse only so much We expect results!

Just kidding, actually having to delay your build so much & often gives you time to think constructively for when you do get back to it. Glad to hear you're still trying to build it.
Cheers, Dino

My Oven Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 05:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dino,
How about compiling a 'WFO Friendly" thread for the LA Times Recipes and your own of course. Sort of like Whats Cooking at Karangi Kitchen.
I think it would be great to have a few booked marked sites of all the dishes / recipes that I would love to try at home once my build is complete .

Last edited by Gulf; 06-19-2012 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Link
Old 06-19-2012, 06:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
Dino,
How about compiling a 'WFO Friendly" thread for the LA Times Recipes and your own of course. Sort of like Whats Cooking at Karangi Kitchen.
I think it would be great to have a few booked marked sites of all the dishes / recipes that I would love to try at home once my build is complete .
I concure - Dino, you have posted some great things to try. I had no clue what to do with all my grape leaves You really should start a thread like the "dude". Also, pair it with a wine, you obviously have that down. In all sensarity, it would be a great addition to this forum.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:26 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dino,

I have fairly new to the WFOers club, but your thinking outside the box with cooking has me starting to compile recipes already, although I am still in the building phase. Keep em coming......

Russell
Old 06-24-2012, 05:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Exclamation Re: Heirloom Tomato Galette WFO

Thanks Russell, Les and Joe (Gulf).
Gulf, I'm really enjoying your oven build and great detail I see on your picasa web album.

Doug (Karangi Dude) is just amazing with his wfo cooking skills. He should be christened the "house chef" of FB Cooking, so I'm not going to even attempt anything like he's doing. My problem is that I'm either organized, or I eat. Never both so I'll just post food pics when I can .

I made this tomato tart a few days ago in the house oven on a pizza stone and took it camping over the weekend. Works great indoors too.

I'm starting a word doc on my mac today of food I'd like to do in the wfo and high on the list is paella. Although I feel like I haven't done a pizza in so long, I've forgotten the process

My Oven Thread