Old 06-24-2013, 04:48 PM
Serf

Default First Non-Pizza Use

My Primavera 70 was delivered three weeks ago. I patiently cured it with successively hotter fires for the first week. My first two real uses were pizza (La Vera Pizza Napoletana). I was hooked. Tonight I roasted potatoes with rosemary and garlic, and I roasted two chickens under bricks. I am loving this WFO!
Attached Thumbnails
First Non-Pizza Use-wfopotatoes.jpg   First Non-Pizza Use-brickchicken.jpg  

Last edited by Sjadad; 06-24-2013 at 04:56 PM. Reason: add photos
Old 06-24-2013, 04:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: First Non-Pizza Use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjadad View Post
I roasted two chickens under bricks.
I'm having a hard time visualizing this. These ovens are great!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:01 PM
Serf

Les - I butterflied and halved two chickens. I rubbed salt and minced herbs (rosemary, parsley, sage, lemon zest) under the skin and rubbed olive oil over the skins. After prehaeating an empty sheet pan in the WFO, I put all four halves skin side down on the sheet pan and placed an aluminum foil-wrapped brick on each half. The coals were banked on the left side of the oven, leaving plenty of room on the right side for the sheet pan. The floor was around 650 degrees when I started.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Les - Chicken under a brick is a fairly common technique. I've been served it, but haven't tried making it on my own. Sounds like a good WFO recipe!

http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.c...-a-brick/?_r=0

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks deejay,

I see what they are doing but don't understand what it adds. I thought it was cooking from top and bottom but they say to flip the meat so that theory is shot down. Maybe the Italian chickens are hard to kill and they are trying to keep them from flying away The recipe sounds good, may give it a try without the weight

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:35 PM
Journeyman

LOL - I have heard of Pheasant under Glass but never Chicken under Brick!
Old 06-25-2013, 02:15 AM
Serf

Les - the brick does a couple of things. First, it flattens the chicken to a uniform thickness so it all cooks at the same rate so you avoid overcooking the breast while you wait for the legs and thighs to be done. Second, it provides maximum surface contact resulting in wonderfully crisp and brown skin.