Old 03-12-2012, 06:18 PM
Peasant

Default Stone so close to broiler!!

Well there have been a few threads about heating up a stone to the maximum your non WFO oven will allow, turning your broiler on and then sliding in a pizza.

I decided to try this, previously my stone was placed close to my oven's bottom heating element and I would take the pizza out and slide it onto the rack underneath the broiler to finish it.

Anyway a few pictures of my pizza are attached. This pizza took 4 minutes to cook, 3 of them were with the broiler turned on. This pizza was made with a high gluten flour. I liked the taste of it a lot, I actually ate two and a half of them lol! The pizza definitely was not crispy but it felt more like a traditional naples style pizza. Although I only know what a traditional naples style pizza feels like because a pizza shop I was at told me that was how that type of pizza felt. Kind of a spongy cornicione. One problem is that the cheese burnt a little, but perhaps if I had used thicker mozzarella slices...

I would have liked some black char on the bottom to go along with the char on the top. I imagine if I had two heating elements, one right beneath the stone, and one right above, I could get both sides to char.
Attached Thumbnails
Stone so close to broiler!!-100_8258.jpg   Stone so close to broiler!!-100_8264.jpg