Old 12-18-2008, 11:06 AM
Master Builder

Default We have a crack

Sorry to report that on day 5 of curing I have noticed a crack...visible from the interior as the exterior is covered. It looks like it cracked through one and possibly two bricks but otherwise follows a mortar joint. I have told many others that cracks happen but, until it happens to you it is hard to understand the feeling. Feeling a bit dejected but will continue to cure the oven as per the schedule...
Keep your fingers crossed that it will be the only one...
All the best!
Dutch
Attached Thumbnails
We have a crack-crack.jpg  
Old 12-18-2008, 11:22 AM
Peasant

Default Re: We have a crack

I had the same luck and kept on firing it and built my final fire to cook and ended up with 3 cracks one about 1/4 inch I dug out the mortar and started again to temper it and dry it out. now I am going to , in a week fire it up and make pizza. Hope I don't have any more bad luck
Old 12-18-2008, 12:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Sorry about the crack, Dutch. I have several, but they're all in joints, not thru bricks. Keep an eye on it, I bet it doesn't get worse.

Someone posted a picture last week, I think, of a commercial freestanding oven, and there was a big ol' crack on the outside of the dome- they were using it just fine with the crack! So don't worry too much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:04 PM
Master Builder

Dutch,

I wish I had enough credible experience to provide you with some reassurance, but I don't (yet). Hang in there with the cures. Slow and steady.

It's all coming together nicely. I can't wait to see you pull your first pizzas out of that beast!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-18-2008, 01:22 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Sorry about that Dutch. Keep an eye on it and let us all know how it goes. Often those first little cracks just sit there and don't ever move again.

Keep it going!
James

Old 12-19-2008, 04:26 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I know you must feel differently about it, but it doesn't look like a very big crack from here... it fits in very nicely with the old oven look actually.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:15 AM
Master Builder

Dutch, do not despair (for long)
.....I'm convinced that cracks are just character for your WFO
on with the cooking!

And so far as my experience goes, they're hard to eliminate once you have them. Masonry tends to expand with heat and makes me wonder if you could just design an expansion crack into an oven design??..... don't fear them, I anticipate them.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:11 AM
Master Builder

More curing done today...crack is still there...damn! Anyway had a couple of cool pics and unfortunately what might be another crack...damn!
All the best from rain soaked north mississippi!
Dutch
Attached Thumbnails
We have a crack-cool-pic-curing-fire-day-6.jpg   We have a crack-possible-2nd-crack.jpg   We have a crack-curing-fire-day-6.jpg  
Old 12-19-2008, 01:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dutch,
Try clicking your heals together 3 times and reciting "Theres no cracks in my dome, theres no cracks in my dome"

Seriously, you will be fine. After the initial disappointment wears of you will think of the cracks as "character lines".

I've given up on the 2 hairline cracks that I have on the exterior mosaic grout lines...fixed them twice, keep reappearing after about 10-15 fires. Weird, no cracks at all on the inside.

RT
Old 12-20-2008, 05:31 AM
Serf

dutch, do not let it get you down most masonary projects crack and it does not compromise the structure. A dome is a perfect shape to counter all the outside forces . Your oven will be just fine. The one thing we tell all our customers the one shore thing in life is all concrete cracks